INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts from an MC12 newbie  (Read 1353 times)

nathanchavez

• Galactic Citizen
  • I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
Thoughts from an MC12 newbie
« on: September 24, 2006, 12:22:30 am »

First off let me say that I've been using J River products for about three years and I have liked every single one of them.  Until now.  I absolutely love MC 12.  It is by far better than version 11, which is hard to top.  Here is a list of questions/concerns/praises from a way to critical MC12 newbie:

1.  The changes to the Noire skin are fantastic!  No longer does the search field have grey lines through it.  I can't think of one think I don't like about this skin now. 

2.  The new icons are great also.  I like the contrast between them and the blue used in the Noire skin.  For the first time, I don't have to use custom icons in MC; I can use the defaults.  I do wonder why the same approach wasn't used in the main icons as was used in toolbar icons; there the icons light up when they are hovered over.  That would be a neat idea here too; colorless until hovered over.  Also, not all the toolbar icons are colored upon hovering such as "drives and devices" and "CD Labler."

3.  I wish the display windows was able to change size; shrink or expand.  The way it is now there is white space surrounding the album art when a song is played.

4.   I wish MC12 had the ability to switch DSP preferences based on song selection; a la the Eqdb plugin.  That would be great if it were an innate ability.

5.  Memory useage in 12.076 has gone down even further than what was required in 12.053.  MC12 has just outdone itself in that area.  13MB of ram is just amazing.

6.  Why have action windows icons listed if no such device is has been detected; meaning camera and handhelds.

7.  I think the minimize, close, and restore buttons could be a tad smaller.

8.  I'm having trouble getting used to the integrated scheduler.  This seems to be, at least  in some respects, a step backwards.  A scheduled task cannot run unless MC is started, correct?  I think I liked the other way better, where I didn't have to have MC open.  It kind of defeats the purpose, does it not?  For instance, is you were to use MC as an alarm clock, as I do, you'd have to be sure to start MC every night.

All in all a great product, or rather a great new version.  Just great!!!! ;D

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Thoughts from an MC12 newbie
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 07:46:26 am »

1.  The changes to the Noire skin are fantastic!  No longer does the search field have grey lines through it.  I can't think of one think I don't like about this skin now. 
Thanks.
2.  The new icons are great also.  I like the contrast between them and the blue used in the Noire skin.  For the first time, I don't have to use custom icons in MC; I can use the defaults.  I do wonder why the same approach wasn't used in the main icons as was used in toolbar icons; there the icons light up when they are hovered over.  That would be a neat idea here too; colorless until hovered over.  Also, not all the toolbar icons are colored upon hovering such as "drives and devices" and "CD Labeler."
These may be done some day.
3.  I wish the display windows was able to change size; shrink or expand.  The way it is now there is white space surrounding the album art when a song is played.
We spend a lot of time talking about things like this.  More options vs. simplicity.  Automatic screen resizing vs. consistent look.  In the end, we have to choose.
4.   I wish MC12 had the ability to switch DSP preferences based on song selection; a la the Eqdb plugin.  That would be great if it were an innate ability.
It's been discussed.
5.  Memory useage in 12.076 has gone down even further than what was required in 12.053.  MC12 has just outdone itself in that area.  13MB of ram is just amazing.
MC unloads parts that aren't in use.
6.  Why have action windows icons listed if no such device is has been detected; meaning camera and handhelds.
We found that this worked very well in useability studies.  You would think that people would plug in the camera before trying to get the images off it, but it often doesn't happen.
7.  I think the minimize, close, and restore buttons could be a tad smaller.
Style.
8.  I'm having trouble getting used to the integrated scheduler.  This seems to be, at least  in some respects, a step backwards.  A scheduled task cannot run unless MC is started, correct?  I think I liked the other way better, where I didn't have to have MC open.  It kind of defeats the purpose, does it not?  For instance, is you were to use MC as an alarm clock, as I do, you'd have to be sure to start MC every night.
I'm not sure, but you may be able to run Media Server on Windows Startup to get this to work.  Media Server is now just a shell that keeps a very small part of MC in memory for things like Library Server, TiVo Server, etc.  It may also do what you want.

nathanchavez

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 09:41:45 am »

I'm not sure, but you may be able to run Media Server on Windows Startup to get this to work.  Media Server is now just a shell that keeps a very small part of MC in memory for things like Library Server, TiVo Server, etc.  It may also do what you want.

Sadly, this doesn't work.  I just tried it and had no luck.  After the scheduled time MC just starts the countdown again.  Could this be changed?  Or, maybe I'm doing something wrong.  Has anyone else been able to get the scheduler to work right?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 09:44:02 am »

Please start a new thread on this (with a subject that describes the problem).

Thanks.

nathanchavez

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 09:52:03 am »

Thanks for the quick reply.
Pages: [1]   Go Up