INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple discs  (Read 1788 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
Multiple discs
« on: September 27, 2006, 09:19:16 pm »

In library view, how about a way to graphically show whether an album has multiple discs or not. Perhaps the album could stack like it does for different albums.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
Re: Multiple discs
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 08:59:36 am »

Or how about automatically splitting the album up into different album thumbnails when in album thumbnail view with the "disc #" in brackets under each one.  This would be very convenient.

modelmaker

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 05:44:45 am »

One of the neat things about ripping/importing albums to MC is that you don't need to keep track of the disc #.

I just renumber the tracks to reflect the sequence as a whole album as I am sure the artist and/or record company originally intended if it weren't for the artificial division of tracks as a consequence of the limited capacity of the medium.

If for some reason one would need the disc number, it's still in the filename.

JMHO.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 08:59:31 am »

But I WANT to keep track of disc # most of the time.  In many cases the discs in a multi-disc collection are separated based on content rather than just an arbitrary split based on medium limitations.

As to the multiple album art, take the Led Zepplin box set for example.  It has four discs, and each disc has unique cover art.  MC displays the 'album' using the cover art from only the first disc.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 09:16:52 am »

If you give a multi-disc set different album names (i.e. Greatest Hits (disc 1), etc.) they'll be discrete items in the stacks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dcwebman

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 01:29:22 pm »

I have updated Alex B's use of disc #'s and think it works well. http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=31501.0
Jeff

modelmaker

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 01:43:11 pm »

But I WANT to keep track of disc # most of the time.  In many cases the discs in a multi-disc collection are separated based on content rather than just an arbitrary split based on medium limitations.

As to the multiple album art, take the Led Zepplin box set for example.  It has four discs, and each disc has unique cover art.  MC displays the 'album' using the cover art from only the first disc.

In my situation, if the content is that different (and I haven't found very many of these & I have about 40K trks), I might add a "part 1, part 2, etc" and/or a sub-title in () to the album title.

As for multiple cover art (I have the LZ Box too), I just select the corresponding tracks and use the "Image>Add From File" function for the respective discs' covers.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that this way is better, just sharing another method to all this madness! ;)

One advantage to my system is that I can just double click on an album and the whole album gets added to PN without having to add each "disc" separately. Sure one could make a playlist with all the "discs", but until we can store artists' playlists with the artists, that isn't really all that practical.

I don't really see a situation where I would want to use a different player so I'm not concerned with compatabillity, (I use MC on a laptop in the car too). No other player that I've tried can handle the size of my library.

I've come to the conclusion after 35 years, 12k of LPs and a couple of thousand CDs of collecting, that I've hardly ever used any of the info that I used to be so anal about keeping, so now it's the simpler the better.

Again, JMHO. :)
Jay.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 11:20:05 pm »

As for multiple cover art (I have the LZ Box too), I just select the corresponding tracks and use the "Image>Add From File" function for the respective discs' covers.

I have the appropriate cover art assigned to each disc's tracks.  Just pointing out that this is one case where a single 'album' has multiple cover art items that the OP request would handle.

I'm not sold on any 'right' way to handle these either, and like you MC is my weapon of choice for the forseeable future.  I use the disc # method at the moment because that reflects the physical medium's reality and MC handles the sorting quite nicely.  The request has merit though - regardless of how anyone handles their collection.

modelmaker

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 10:38:14 am »

To put things in a little (personal) historical context, early on in my collecting days, I always disliked having to interrupt an album half-way through to turn it over. This became especially annoying with concept  (Yes-Close To the Edge etc) and live albums and also a lot of classical works.

Once I got my first auto-reverse reel-to-reel tape deck, (1969),  I was then able to record and listen to albums uninterrupted.  With 4 & 6 hour tapes, (@ 3 3/4 IPS & DBX NR) I also started making "concept" or "mood" tapes, today's equivalent being the custom playlist. With MC, I have now also "re-created" digital versions of a lot of my old concept tapes.

The only thing missing was a jukebox capabillity and for that, I had to wait for technology to catch up. With Magix AudioCleaningLab (to record, edit & clean up the LPs) and the best player and organizer on the planet, MC, I can finally enjoy my music collection the way I've always wanted to, which has always been my goal, not archiving, (the Library Of Congress does that already).

Sorry about the long ramble, but I've been home with the flu and larangitis for the last couple of days! ;D
Jay.

Pages: [1]   Go Up