INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume Control Slider not working  (Read 1733 times)

DV8

• Junior Woodchuck
  • My Karma ran over my Dogma
Volume Control Slider not working
« on: October 02, 2006, 08:13:14 pm »

I had to reload the drivers for my Delta 410 sound card and now the MC11 volume slider controls are pegged at 100%. They move when I slide volume down and even lower volume for a few seconds before forcing themselves back up to 100%. These are the latest drivers from M-Audio.
Any idea of how to get my volume control on MC11 back?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Volume Control Slider not working
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 02:59:35 pm »

I don't have a Delta 410 so I can't answer to the driver issue, but have you tried MC's Internal Volume option? It can handle most audio file formats with MC's high quality DSP. I use it all the time.

Right-click the small speaker icon besides the volume slider for accessing the option or select "Volume > Internal Volume" in the Player menu.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

DV8

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 08:37:14 pm »

It already is on internal volume control and was working before. These latest drivers seems to have fouled up the slider. Not sure I can find old drivers.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 12:01:02 am »

When you reinstalled the drivers, why did you need to do that?  And did you first completely uninstall what you had before and then reboot and install the new ones?

I seem to vaguely remember having the same issue at one point.  I'm really not sure what I did to fix it, but I did eventually figure it out and get it solved.

I generally use MC set to System Volume though, so I don't know if that is it at all.  It also could have been codec related.

I have a 410 at work, but it's in my Mac.  Maybe I could be convinced to switch it to the PC and try it out (the onboard PC audio stinks anyway) if you really eliminate all the other possibilities...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 04:20:40 am »

It already is on internal volume control and was working before. These latest drivers seems to have fouled up the slider. Not sure I can find old drivers.

Something is really not right. The Internal Volume option should not be connected with the sound card drivers anyhow. If I have understood this correctly the volume adjustment happens completely before MC's audio output stage.

I suspect that something has made MC to be not able to switch the Internal Volume on. It could be some kind of Windows registry corruption.

Have you tried to simply reinstall MC? You could try to install MC on top of the previous installation, but that may not be enough if the registry is corrupted. In that case you need to uninstall MC by using its uninstaller with the "remove registry entries" option before reinstalling. Keep in mind that this resets the program options so make some notes about them. Naturally you should backup your library(ies) first.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

DV8

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 10:17:26 pm »

Thanks for your comments Alex and glynor.
I tried reinstalling and rebooting MC and the Delta 410 a couple of times and somewhere in this jiggerypokey, the slider now works.
Interestingly, it works as normal when on internal volume (slider goes up and down and controls output volume). However, when I put on System volume the volume is pegged at 100% (as normal AFAIK) but the slider now moves on System volume although it doesn't control the volume at all.

Seems it is working normally (mostly anyway) so I am going to leave well enough alone. I suspect it corrected itself because I wore my lucky underwear and used my left hand to control the mouse when rebooting and reinstalling the third time. This seems to work for me.

*&^%$ computers

Thanks for your help.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 01:50:17 pm »

Seems it is working normally (mostly anyway) so I am going to leave well enough alone. I suspect it corrected itself because I wore my lucky underwear and used my left hand to control the mouse when rebooting and reinstalling the third time. This seems to work for me.

Yeah.  Sometimes I have to resort to the "prayer method" to get things fixed.

If that doesn't work, I generally resort to the "threaten the dumb machine with my baseball bat method".

;D
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up