INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Handheld/syncing question  (Read 1341 times)

jeffdb5

Handheld/syncing question
« on: October 04, 2006, 10:57:03 pm »

I'm fairly new to all this, so I apologize in advance if my question is an "amateur" one: I own a Creative Zen Vision M. When syncing to Media Center, is it possible to have a playlist carry over to the handheld without also syncing the files associated with the it? In other words, let's say I have 100 music files in Media Center that are synced up to the handheld. Then I create a new playlist in Media Center using 10 of the existing 100 files. Then, after syncing to the handheld, while the new playlist has indeed carried over, the 10 files associated with this playlist have been duplicated on the handheld. So now while Music Center still has 100 files in it as it of course should, the handheld actually has 110 files on it, 10 of which are duplicates (from the newly created and synced playlist).

Is there any way to avoid this? Obviously, I don’t need the files duplicated on the handheld. I just want my new, spiffy playlist carried over. The music files needed for this new playlist are of course already on the handheld and don’t need to be duplicated.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. If anyone has any advice, I'd surely appreciate it. I've not been able to discern the answer from Media Center's support page.

johnnyboy

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Handheld/syncing question
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 02:24:19 am »

I had a similar question today when doing the same thing with a Zen Xtra.
My question was though that I had the 100 songs on the Zen already and I wanted to create a playlist in MC and then have this create the playlist on my Zen for the files that were already on the device.
They would have all been easily identifiable as they are the exact same files MC would create itself on it when moving them there when it would have created the playlist at the same time.

Any help great!
Thanks

SwellGuy

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 04:41:26 pm »

jeffdb5,

I wasn't able to reproduce this. Are you sure there are no differences between the files on the device and the ones in MC? Are you converting before transferring? What's the version of the firmware on your Vision:M?

SwellGuy

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 04:41:40 pm »

Johnnyboy,

What you're describing should work fine... However, after checking into this it appears that if all of the files are already on the device it isn't syncing purely to transfer the new playlist. The new playlist must contain one file that is not already on the device. We'll address this in the next build or so.

jeffdb5

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 06:14:38 pm »

Hi guys,

Johnnyboy is actually having the same problem as I am. He just described it more clearly! :) And you did also, SwellGuy. That's exactly it: The files are already on the device, and it isn't syncing purely to transfer the new playlist.

So, in terms of the solution you propose, if I were to delete one of the relevant files off the device before syncing, would that solve my problem of the duplicates being created?

Thanks for the quick response to this! BTW, my firmware version is 1.41.01
Pages: [1]   Go Up