INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Automatic Rename  (Read 2497 times)

darichman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Feature Request: Automatic Rename
« on: October 06, 2006, 09:18:11 pm »

Otto is great - it's good not having to be mindful of changes made in explorer, as the watch folder feature automatically updates the library to reflect changes.

What I'd like to see is a system which works the other way around :)

I could imagine this working similar to the "Rename File from Properties Feature", but would happen automatically as changes are made to library fields. For individual files or groups of files, we could assign a naming scheme (eg [Artist] - [Name] for music, [Season]x[Episode]. [Show] - [Name] for TV shows etc). This assignment could be via a new field (eg [Rename Rule]) or even better, could be incorporated into an expression manager of some kind. This could let us select how we want to rename our files when we import them, without having to define renaming expressions manually every time we make a change... (I'm just thinking out loud :))

I know some may argue that file name and directory structure aren't that important in a virtual library, but it is very important to backup and archiving.

sdgrizdan

• Galactic Citizen
  • The body cannot live without the mind
Re: Feature Request: Automatic Rename
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 01:08:08 am »

I second this motion!! It would be cool for MC 12 to function like iTunes in the way of auto renaming files from properties (upon tag changes and upon importing)! This will totally complete OTTO.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 05:38:32 am »

I second this motion!! It would be cool for MC 12 to function like iTunes in the way of auto renaming files from properties (upon tag changes and upon importing)! This will totally complete OTTO.

Initially I thought that why didn't they add this, but then I realized that it would not work well with anything that does not have the needed tags or is otherwise unusual. To list a few: various artists albums, video files, image files, single files without album tags, totally untagged audio files like wave files etc.

Perhaps it could have a complex matrix that would tell what to do in each possible case.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 06:19:54 am »

It would also involve heavy file moving operations in the background when the files are moved from a partition to another. Otto just quickly reads the file tags and/or a small part of the files but moving the files is different. It should also be able to check the available space and know what to do if the files would not fit.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 02:00:43 am »

it would not work well with anything that does not have the needed tags or is otherwise unusual

Perhaps it could have a complex matrix that would tell what to do in each possible case.

This is true, hence the need to be able to specify the rename scheme on a file specific basis (i suggested adding a "Rename Rule" field which the user could fill out. This could be used when renaming files -- if it's not filled out, MC doesn't have to do anything! As for files not having tags, the fields stored in the library could be used for this.

It would also involve heavy file moving operations in the background when the files are moved from a partition to another

True, but this would be no more demanding than the rename file from properties we use now

This feature isn't an absolute necessity of course :) but I am rather pedantic about making sure my filenames are consistent with my tags, and remembering to rename from properties can be tiresome.

Would anyone else find this useful?

lOth

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 08:18:05 am »

sounds like an appealing idea but maybe others who have tried iTunes are (unfortunately) familiar with the "let iTunes put a big mess in this folder" option. This would definitely need a lot of fine-tuning options to work properly.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 10:45:35 am »

Personally I don’t like automatic operations on my data.  I like the ability to do mass updates, but I want to initiate it – push a button - to start it.

So I understand the requests, but if implemented, please make it a user initiated action or an option.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 12:25:22 pm »

I agree with the last comment. It just needs to be a button called "Organise files" put in the action window, and it'd be convenient enough to get to any time.

I would have it with an interface (tab based, with each tab containing a set of rules that you might want to apply to a certain set of files). The defualt tabs could be based on media type, so there would be 3 tabs in total and a bunch of preset rules and locations for naming the files for that media type.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 02:37:48 pm »

I want to be able to do Otto everything

Auto Re-Encode, Auto Move Or Auto What Ever

Why Not?
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 05:28:54 pm »

sounds like an appealing idea but maybe others who have tried iTunes are (unfortunately) familiar with the "let iTunes put a big mess in this folder" option. This would definitely need a lot of fine-tuning options to work properly.

This is exactly what I meant. It would need to be a complex system that would take several factors into account. Not impossible, but...

I agree with the last comment. It just needs to be a button called "Organise files" put in the action window, and it'd be convenient enough to get to any time.

I would have it with an interface (tab based, with each tab containing a set of rules that you might want to apply to a certain set of files). The defualt tabs could be based on media type, so there would be 3 tabs in total and a bunch of preset rules and locations for naming the files for that media type.

Hmm... this would be a bit like a shortcut for the following batch:

- go to Recently Imported
- select all
- start Rename Files From Properties
- select the appropriate rules
- execute
- clear Recently Imported

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 10:07:14 pm »

I think this whole issue could be achieved by putting an "Expression Manager" entry into the Options menu.

Using this manager, we could add and store expressions. These could then be accessed when using features which use advanced expressions or calculation fields. For example:
1. Rename file from properties
2. Edit View Scheme --> Add --> Advanced Expression
3. Calculated data in the Custom Tag creation menu

In the manager, we could define rules for doing specific things (like Otto updating filenames or paths). We wouldn't have to end up with messy folders like iTunes, as we could specify exactly when and what we want it to do and which files will be affected.

It is fully customisable at the options menu level, but will be much simpler to use in the areas mentioned above (can simply select a saved expression rather than typing it out each time)

As far as renaming files go, we could set up renaming categories and be able to pick which template we'd like to use for each group of files. Once this is selected, MC automatically updates the filename as relevant fields are changed.

If we never define a rename category, MC does nothing and we get no mess.

Any thoughts?

CDvd

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 12:20:42 am »

Would anyone else find this useful?

Are you kidding? I was looking for something like that for a long time.

I tried to build an big expression for the "Rename files from properties" that fits all my files and that is based on [genre] and other standard/custom tags. It's just TOO much work for now. Handling 10,20 or perhaps more IF() levels is IMO not the right way to do that but if there's no other solution I'll try again when I'll have more free time.

So for now, my files are all over my drives (and it gives me headache when I think of it). Something that would provide flexibility (and would be optional for people that already have all things in the right place) would be fantastic!
A computer without COBOL and Fortran is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2006, 12:41:39 am »

Handling 10,20 or perhaps more IF() levels is IMO not the right way to do that but if there's no other solution I'll try again when I'll have more free time.

Yeah I'm the same. I got as far as classical music and that expression was already a page long!

Solution: An expression wizard. This could make all the features on the expression page available using clicks rather than typing. It would be a lot of work to develop the interface, but heaven once it's set up :)

And on the plus it's more user friendly and won't alienate new users or the expression language illiterate (aka: me!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up