INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Installing License on Second Computer  (Read 1889 times)

bcrossan

• Recent member
Installing License on Second Computer
« on: October 08, 2006, 10:01:21 pm »

I installed my license on one computer and I got the message saying the instructions to install on other computers was probably behind the open window, unfortunately I did not find those in any window.  I tried to get the directions in FAQ and license info but I kept getting forced back to the main purchase screen for MC and couldn't find the instructions.  Can someone post a link or let me know how it's done?
THanks

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Installing License on Second Computer
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 12:28:13 am »

When you installed the license it should have opened a page that contained your license key, which was hyperlinked to a MJP file.  I believe they also email this file as an attachment to you so it should be in your email as well.  Simply transfer the MJP file to the other computer, make sure MC is installed on it, and double click the MJP file.  It will launch MC and install the license.

You can use my Settings Saving Script to move your settings from the one computer to the other.

One small caveat is that the MJP files only last 2 weeks, afterwhich they "expire".  This isn't a huge deal though because you can generate 10 of them per rolling calendar year.  In MC on the unregistered machine simply go to the Restoration Page (you can also do this from within MC under the Help menu) and generate a new one.  The restore page is here:

https://rover.jriver.com/cgi-bin/restore.cgi

I use multiple machines (I think I have MC on 5 different machines at last count) and I reinstall Windows regularly (and upgrade hardware).  I've never had a problem with using up my 10 restores, because it's a rolling year (meaning that restore you used on October 10, 2005 will "drop off" tomorrow and become available again).

I love that JRiver has the very respectful policy of allowing a single user to install MC on all of their machines for a single price.  I'm quite enthusiastic about it actually...   ::)   ;D
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

bcrossan

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 08:13:08 am »

When you installed the license it should have opened a page that contained your license key, which was hyperlinked to a MJP file.  I believe they also email this file as an attachment to you so it should be in your email as well.  Simply transfer the MJP file to the other computer, make sure MC is installed on it, and double click the MJP file.  It will launch MC and install the license.

You can use my Settings Saving Script to move your settings from the one computer to the other.

One small caveat is that the MJP files only last 2 weeks, afterwhich they "expire".  This isn't a huge deal though because you can generate 10 of them per rolling calendar year.  In MC on the unregistered machine simply go to the Restoration Page (you can also do this from within MC under the Help menu) and generate a new one.  The restore page is here:

https://rover.jriver.com/cgi-bin/restore.cgi

I use multiple machines (I think I have MC on 5 different machines at last count) and I reinstall Windows regularly (and upgrade hardware).  I've never had a problem with using up my 10 restores, because it's a rolling year (meaning that restore you used on October 10, 2005 will "drop off" tomorrow and become available again).

I love that JRiver has the very respectful policy of allowing a single user to install MC on all of their machines for a single price.  I'm quite enthusiastic about it actually...   ::)   ;D

That is what I tried a few times and then again last night.  I used the file I got when I hit restore license and I get an error that says "Error restoring Media Center license: Unknown error".   Has anyone else seen that error and know how to resolve it?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 09:07:51 am »

That is what I tried a few times and then again last night.  I used the file I got when I hit restore license and I get an error that says "Error restoring Media Center license: Unknown error".   Has anyone else seen that error and know how to resolve it?
The Install Key is only good for 2 weeks.  After that, you have to restore.  Details are here:

www.jrmediacenter.com/purchase.html

bcrossan

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 09:09:24 am »

I bought the program only about a week ago so my license is less than 2 weeks old.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 09:43:54 am »

Check your system clock, make sure it is correct.

Is the correct version of MC installed on the second computer?

j
Pages: [1]   Go Up