INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: please put back MC11 Import Media dialog  (Read 2054 times)

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
please put back MC11 Import Media dialog
« on: October 09, 2006, 07:42:31 pm »

I think I understand your logic for the new MC12 "Add Folder to Library" dialog. It is cleaner and simpler however I think we have lost an important feature from MC11.

I have a large database (100K+ items) and am fanatical about keeping it clean. I manually add all media to the database after ensuring the tags, artwork, file folder/names are perfect.

MC is remarkably stable however it does crash from time to time. I also observe unexplained events every couple months, such as a few random files magically becoming unimported from the database. And of course user errors also occur from time to time :).

My meda is organized into broad types such as Music, Movies, Podcasts, Books, Comedy, etc..  Each type has its own root folder, and these roots are often on different drives.

The best (and only method) I have found to check the integrity of my database with MC11 is to "Import Media" with each of the media type folder roots selected and the options "fix or remove broken links" and "update library for external changes" selected.  When the operation completes and reports "0 files added" I know my database is healthy. On the other hand, if it reports added files or fixed broken links I know something bad happened and I can read the detailed import log to figure out what happened.

With MC12 this procedure becomes a real pain because I must manually select each media type root folder and do them one by one. I am also not confident that it is doing what I expect since the options "fix or remove broken links" and "update library for external file changes" no longer exist.

Please put back the MC11 Import Media dialog. Everything else except this appears to be a step forward for MC12.

Keep up the good work.

sithlord0338

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: please put back MC11 Import Media dialog
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 07:47:42 pm »

I would also like that functionality to be brought back.

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 08:03:19 pm »

I think I understand your logic for the new MC12 "Add Folder to Library" dialog. It is cleaner and simpler however I think we have lost an important feature from MC11.

Me too.

I have a large database (100K+ items) and am fanatical about keeping it clean. I manually add all media to the database after ensuring the tags, artwork, file folder/names are perfect.

MC is remarkably stable however it does crash from time to time. I also observe unexplained events every couple months, such as a few random files magically becoming unimported from the database. And of course user errors also occur from time to time :).

Mine is not as large, but I do like to do things manually.  And I too find that sometimes a few tracks are missing only to import and find them re-imported.

Please put back the MC11 Import Media dialog. Everything else except this appears to be a step forward for MC12.

I suggest just giving us the button back, and let us choose whether to add it to our toolbars or not.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 08:12:44 pm »

I agree.  I understand the desire to add more "automatic" functionality, but this shouldn't mean that robust "manual" features should be taken away.

Larry

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 09:31:47 pm »

Options > Library > Watch Folders

You can configure any number of folders to watch. (in a more flexible way than with MC 11.1 since types are per-folder)

There is also a "Check Folders Now..." link there.

Since you can also run it in full manual mode, this engine is actually more flexible than what MC 11.1 had, with the added benefit of being able to automagically stay synchronized with the disk if you like.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rjm

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 10:09:45 pm »

Thanks Matt.

I missed this and it seems to address my concern.

Am observing strange new behavior with DVD's store locallly. Each time I run "Check folders now" it reports external file changes for all of my DVD's, even though nothing has changed.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 10:46:58 pm »

You can configure any number of folders to watch. (in a more flexible way than with MC 11.1 since types are per-folder)

Since you can also run it in full manual mode, this engine is actually more flexible than what MC 11.1 had, with the added benefit of being able to automagically stay synchronized with the disk if you like.

I must say.... Otto has been working surprisingly well for me on my home system.  Of course, my video editing workstation is in pieces in my basement right now (until I can get my new "office" in order hopefully sometime soon).  I was quite a skeptic about it, but it's been better than my wildest dreams.

Still, I would still like easier access to the capability to run the manual scan (the "check folders now" link).  It would be ideal to again have access via a Windows Message command to this function, and a "Check Folders Now" link under the Tools menu.  This has been asked for once or twice before by a number of users, and I just think it makes sense.

Otto is great, and I am using it.  However, I can't use it on many of my machines (since I'm manually sharing the libraries I have to have one machine only running Otto in Auto).  Right now to start manual imports on those machines, I have to dig into the Option dialog.  A simple "Check Folders Now" link in the Tools menu would solve this (and if, when the user has no folders designated but they chose that menu item, MC reported "you don't have any watched folders selected.  Would you like to open the options to configure this?" might solve some of these questions as well).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 11:19:14 pm »

I'd like to have that too.
I added a few files, converted a few to another format, made some tag changes to a few.
I had to do the Check Folders Now to get all the changes recognized, 677 files.

It probably was that Otto seemed to have two watch folders that were the same folder.
I uninstalled MC completely, checked the registry to make sure it was clean, reinstalled, all is well now. Before doing this, there were two different items in the registry for watch folders.

Anyway, let's have an easy way to wake Otto up.

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 09:41:09 am »

Right, it's buried down in the menus.  With MC11, we had a button which we could put on our toolbar to "check folders now".  Much easier than navigating down a menu path.  I have no problem iwth OTTO, but I'd sure like an easy one-step way to tell it to "DO IT NOW".

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 05:42:28 pm »

Build 89, just out, modifies the way we expose auto import.  Check under Tools for 3 new options.

More here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36276.0

Locking this thread now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up