INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Tagging Help!  (Read 2164 times)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Video Tagging Help!
« on: October 13, 2006, 12:28:31 pm »

Ok, I've pretty much had it with video tagging. Some formats support it, some don't. It's the ones that don't that really aggravate me.

Is there anyway that I can save tag data for videos OUTSIDE of MC's database in a way that MC can then later use that data?

Here's the situation...

I've got my main PC that stores all of my media on it. Everything is tagged properly in MC and it all works great.

Out in the living room is my HTPC, also running MC, accessing my media files through network drivs, and Otto does a good job of synching stuff up. At least when it comes to audio and images. The majority of my video files, however, have to be tagged TWICE. Once on my main PC that hosts the media, and then again on the HTPC.

I thought about using the new shared library feature, but I really don't like the idea that if both PCs did an automatc Windows update and had to reboot, the HTPC would then get the read-write copy of the library and my main PC would then get the read only copy. So that idea is out.

What I really need is some way that MC could store the video tags externally, and then the HTPC's Otto would import new files and fill in the tags using the data it found alongside the video files.

Is anything like this possible?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Video Tagging Help!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 01:14:23 pm »

MPL export/import.

If it has any problems demand a fix.

My MPL woe: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36003.0

EDIT

This is for those who don't know what MPL files are. MPL is MC's own playlist format that contains all library fields. The code inside it is in XML fomat and can be edited outside MC (e.g. for changing the base folder path).

On MPL import MC imports the actual media files and populates the library fields with values from the MPL file. This works only if the files are not already imported and the possible custom fields are already configured in the target library. If the files are present MC bypasses them and does not update the library.

MPL export/import is the only way to merge field data between separate libraries if the data cannot be included in the physical file tags.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

rjm

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 02:54:57 pm »

Damn, learn something new about MC every day...

The issue raised by Doof is doubly problematic with documents, since no documents store tags internally.

Thanks for the tip Alex.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 03:48:44 pm »

MPL export/import.

If it has any problems demand a fix.

My MPL woe: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36003.0

EDIT

This is for those who don't know what MPL files are. MPL is MC's own playlist format that contains all library fields. The code inside it is in XML fomat and can be edited outside MC (e.g. for changing the base folder path).

On MPL import MC imports the actual media files and populates the library fields with values from the MPL file. This works only if the files are not already imported and the possible custom fields are already configured in the target library. If the files are present MC bypasses them and does not update the library.

MPL export/import is the only way to merge field data between separate libraries if the data cannot be included in the physical file tags.

So if I'm understanding correctly, what I should do, is, in the import settings, to disable all file types on my Videos folder except for MPL. Then whenever I add video files to my library, do my tagging, then export a new MPL file (presumably with a different name so that Otto on the HTPC will grab it?) and everything on the HTPC should have the same data.

What about if I just change tags on the main PC? From what you describe, those changes won't make it to the HTPC's library, even if I do export a new MPL file, correct?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 03:51:11 pm »

Out in the living room is my HTPC, also running MC, accessing my media files through network drivs, and Otto does a good job of synching stuff up. At least when it comes to audio and images. The majority of my video files, however, have to be tagged TWICE. Once on my main PC that hosts the media, and then again on the HTPC.

To avoid this problem entirely, I developed my shared library scripting system.  It works great generally, and I never have to re-tag twice (nor do any weird MPL stuff).

It looks like it'll be a pain to set up, but it's really not that hard.  You might want to check it out.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 04:34:13 pm »

glynor,

As you probably know I use a similar system for copying the library files and the thumbnails between the PCs.

In any case, I wouldn't label the MPL stuff as weird. A library copying system works only for complete libraries if all files are shared. It is not usable for merging partial libraries like MPL is or for doing what Doof explicitly requested:
What I really need is some way that MC could store the video tags externally

However, a library copy system would probably be better for Doof if he has all library files on the other PC,  i.e. the local library is not a combination of local files and network files.

So if I'm understanding correctly, what I should do, is, in the import settings, to disable all file types on my Videos folder except for MPL. Then whenever I add video files to my library, do my tagging, then export a new MPL file (presumably with a different name so that Otto on the HTPC will grab it?) and everything on the HTPC should have the same data.

What about if I just change tags on the main PC? From what you describe, those changes won't make it to the HTPC's library, even if I do export a new MPL file, correct?

I have not actually tried MPL import with Otto. I assume that it is intended to work similarly like it works with MC11.1's import dialog. That is what I described.

Working with MPL files is quite manual, but as I said it is the only way to partially merge separate libraries.

I would gather the new video files in a playlist and after tagging them I would export the list in MPL format and clear MC's internal list.

I would avoid importing the files on the other PC before they are tagged and the MPL playlist is available.

Before that I could still play the unimported video files directly in Playing Now without tags. Though, MC keeps the PN files in its internal PN database until PN is cleared from these files and MC is restarted. So in this case it is needed to clear the list and restart MC before importing the MPL file.

Edit

Actually, I would probably use VLC, Media Player Classic, WMP or a similar program for a quick video playback before the files are imported to MC.

Edit 2

The only way to update old file info with an MPL file is to remove the files from the library first.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 05:41:07 pm »

In any case, I wouldn't label the MPL stuff as weird. A library copying system works only for complete libraries if all files are shared. It is not usable for merging partial libraries like MPL is or for doing what Doof explicitly requested:
However, a library copy system would probably be better for Doof if he has all library files on the other PC,  i.e. the local library is not a combination of local files and network files.

I agree.  Weird was probably a bad choice of words.  Unweildy would probably go more to my original intent.

MPLs can certainly come in handy.  I use them occasionally to transfer individual sets of files to a laptop that I use for watching big-screen movies outside over at a friend's house (gotta love the outdoor LCD projector on a huge white bedsheet on a summer evening).

Just from Doof's original explanation of his situation, it seemed like the library sharing system might be a better fit.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up