INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Expression help needed  (Read 1460 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Expression help needed
« on: October 23, 2006, 10:45:22 pm »

I am confused why this search expression for a smart playlist is not working.

Background: I use a custom tag field called [Ben's Rating] for my personal rating and it is stored in the files.  Rating is not.  I quickly rate songs with Rating and then I have a playlist which lists all the songs where the Rating does not equal [Ben's Rating].

I have tried simply: -[Rating]=[Ben's Rating]
Theoretically, it should work great.  Wherever the rating is not equal to [Ben's Rating], display the result.  Unfortunately, I don't get what I was hoping for.  It seems to display all pieces of media.

I have been using: (r=1 -[Ben's Rating]=1) or (r=2 -[Ben's Rating]=2) or (r=3 -[Ben's Rating]=3) or (r=4 -[Ben's Rating]=4) or (r=5 -[Ben's Rating]=5)
This basically goes through and checks all 5 possible true values looking for a contradiction in values.  It works great, but it just bothers me the above doesn't work.

I'm hoping someone can explain the problem that I am not seeing.  Thanks!

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Expression not working
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 02:20:21 am »

to compare two or more of the same files' tags, you need to use an 'isequal' expression...

[=isequal([rating],[ben's rating])]=0

will return all files with non-matching ratings, while...

[=isequal([rating],[ben's rating])]=1

would return all those that do match.

In your example, [Rating]=[Ben's Rating], MC does not translate "[ben's rating]" but instead, actually looks for the literal, "[Ben's Rating]" in the [rating] field.

-marko.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: Expression not working
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 08:41:49 am »

I understand the issue.  However, it seems to still not work.  I tried replacing it with [=isequal([rating],[ben's rating])]=0 and I still see every item in the list.  Not really sure what the issue is but it isn't worth going crazy over since I have a working solution.  Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up