INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: associate thumbnail folder with library  (Read 2233 times)

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
associate thumbnail folder with library
« on: October 26, 2006, 03:49:17 pm »

My understanding of how MC12 works (please correct me if I am wrong) is that there is one thumbnail folder that is used for all libraries. This means that if you switch libraries the thumbnails get deleted and must be rebuilt, which can be a real pain for large libraries. (I used and enjoyed multiple libraries in the past but have stopped because of this issue and the fact that my library has grown in size).

Furthermore, the location of the thumbnail file is unique per user account and is specified in the registry. This means that to share a thumbnail file between user accounts you have to edit the registry for each user account.

I think there should be a thumbnail folder for each library and it should be located below the library root. This would solve both of the above issues.

In general, all data associated with a library should be located with the library under its root. This would greatly simplify backing up and synchronizing MC data between computers.

For example, in a previous thread I proposed:
ScreenGrabs are currently stored in C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\Data\ScreenGrabs.

For those of us that capture thumbnails for videos, this data is valuable given the time it takes to create.

ScreenGrabs should default to a folder under the root database directory because:

1) For those of us that backup and/or synchronize our databases across multiple computers, the ScreenGrab data will move with the database when the database root is selected. I just realized that ScreenGrab data is not backed up on my computer because I never thought valuable data would be stored in Program Files.

2) Eliminates dependency on MC version. I am thinking ahead to the day when MC12 comes out of beta and I blow off the MC11 Program Files directory. How will I preserve my ScrenGrab data?  You need to provide a mechanism for moving the ScreenGrab data while preserving the "Image Field" links when upgrading from 11 to 12.

Rob

Hope you will consider these changes.

Rob

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: associate thumbnail folder with library
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 03:59:50 pm »

It is done this way so that thumbnails are always on a fast, local drive. (lesson we learned from past user experiences)

Switching libraries with library manager will not erase thumbnails.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rjm

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 04:04:01 pm »

Thanks Matt.

I would have thought it was also important to have the library on a fast local drive, however I can see that thumbnails need to be faster.

Am I correct that "erase orphans on exit" should be disabled to ensure all thumbnails from all libraries are preserved when switching between libraries?

Rob

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 04:06:01 pm »

Am I correct that "erase orphans on exit" should be disabled to ensure all thumbnails from all libraries are preserved when switching between libraries?

It should be safe to let MC erase orphans regardless.

rjm

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 04:12:28 pm »

Sorry I do not understand.

When you switch from one library to a second library, won't all of the thumbnails created for the first library be orphans by definition in the second library?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 04:14:16 pm »

Sorry I do not understand.

When you switch from one library to a second library, won't all of the thumbnails created for the first library be orphans by definition in the second library?

Each library gets its own thumbnail subfolder in [Application Data].  Thumbnail database maintenance will only be done inside the library's folder, not to all thumbnail folders.

rjm

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 04:18:05 pm »

ok, now I get it, thanks

serves me right for changing the default location of the thumbnail folder

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 04:30:57 pm »

I have "erase orphans" enabled and the thumbnails stick. I change constantly between several libraries.

Thumbnails get out of synch if the same library files are used on different Windows user accounts. This is a possible reason for disappearing thumbnails.

Currently the best option is to use only one user account with MC. I requested "an install for all users" option here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36633.0, but looks like it is not possible to have it in MC12.

The second best option is to tweak the thumbnail base folder path in each user account to point to the same location. This should work if it is done correctly. All user accounts must use exactly the same library files and the thumbnail base folder. Only one user account can be allowed to access the files at the same time.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 03:13:54 am »

nice. so copying the files in the thumbnail folder/etc to the right place on a machine that uses mc over a network could solve some speed issues? ...

This thread is about using MC with more than one library on a single PC that may have several user accounts. This is not about using MC on a LAN.

By default MC creates thumbnails always on the system drive in the user specific Application Data folder.

You cannot just copy the thumbnail files. If you really understand what you are doing you can tweak Windows Registry and change the folder location. You should never change it to a network location. If the path is changed it should point to a fast internal HD. If you have a slow (and possibly small) system drive e.g. in a laptop you could consider also a fast external drive (USB2 or Firewire) if it is always connected when MC is used.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 04:32:43 am »

i understood what the thread was about, and that my remark was taking it a bit ot. im sorry.

Your slightly OT reply created two potential problems:

- Even if you understand fine what we are talking about some other users may try something stupid.

- It lessened the thread's effectiveness. We have a better chance to achieve our goal if the thread is kept on topic. (In this case we need to convince Matt - sooner or later... :) )

(what i ment was that when i use the library server for instance over the internet, it also makes these larrge small and medium thumnail files. copying them to the fast drive of the machine that is using the server (taking the files with you on a usb stick) could maybe increase the download time from the thumbs.)

ill try myself later.  :-X

This would be a good subject for a new topic.

gappie

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 04:45:13 am »

understood. ive deleted my posts. will ask about it in a new thread later.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up