INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: who can recommend good PC speakers less than $100?  (Read 1318 times)

dave

who can recommend good PC speakers less than $100?
« on: September 07, 2002, 04:46:22 pm »

I dont think I have room for a 5.1 setup... I am using an altec lansing setup taht cost $40 a few years a go with with 2 spekaers and subwoofer.  Are there any more high end spekaer systems less than $100?

I use a soundblaster live value card.  Is that good enough or would it make more sense to upgrade that?

Hooking my pc up to the stereo isnt an option.

thanks for your help!

Griff

RE:who can recommend good PC speakers less than $100?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2002, 05:46:15 pm »

Dave
Your best bet is to go out to a computer show or somewhere, where you can hear them befor you buy.

SB live, if you got the latest drivers, then you should be ok.

I run a Santa Cruz right now, but I do have a SB live on the shelf.

Best speakers I ever bought, JBL $5.00, they could blow this house apart.

Good luck
Griff

traveler

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2002, 12:44:53 am »

Dave,

I have the Creative Audigy sound card. While I really like it, I am ready to upgrade to the Audigy Platinum. Anyway, I use the Cambridge Soundworks 4.1 speakers. $59. They have a 5.1 set for $89 depending on the type of room setup you're using. I really like the speakers, and no one who comes over believes they only cost $59. Of course the sound quality is a function of the sound source (wav, ape, wma8, etc.)

Severian

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Data Stylist
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2002, 12:17:16 pm »

Agreed with traveler. For my money Cambridge Soundworks has always kicked butt for less than three figures. Check out their PCWorks or some of their four point surround setups.

A friend once put his PCWorks in a wallmounted bookshelf and demoed them for me; with the bookshelf acting as a kind of speaker cabinet, the sound was amazing for such little, inexpensive things.

I currently have their four point surround system from a few years ago, and although I jones for a better set from Klipsch, they definitely get the job done.

They're at www.hifi.com.
Severian

Galley

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2002, 02:48:08 pm »

I have the Altec Lansing ATP-3's.  They sound great and look really cool!  Logitech makes some very good sounding speakers now as well.

rudy

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2002, 02:24:03 am »

Another vote for Cambridge Soundworks. I have a three piece system hooked up to my computer. People don't believe the sound. I still don't. I think i paid $70.

Saying that, IF you don't mind buying online and IF you don't mind refurb/clearance stuff, you can get good deals on these speakers at the creative online store, clearance section:

http://www.americas.creative.com/shop/shopcategory.asp?category=180

They have the Cambridge speakers mixed in with the Creative Inspire stuff. Last I looked, most all of them were under $100.

dac4m

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2002, 08:52:48 am »

thanks for the creative link... they do have great speaker deals on that website!
Pages: [1]   Go Up