INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: default values for "album" in video files  (Read 2593 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
default values for "album" in video files
« on: November 01, 2006, 09:48:03 pm »

I use my video viewscheme to view both dvds and video files on my hard drive. On import MC assigns the date imported as the default album name. I cant think of a single reason why this might be a useful way of navigating through videos.

Instead, I suggest that the filename, volume name, or name value be put into the album field by default. This way dvd files (typically a bunch of chapter files) would all have similar album names, and with minor editing by the user, could be grouped into one album thumbnail. Also, for multiple file movies stored on a hard drive, the album name for each file would be identical, and only need minor editing to get the files to be seen as one album (movie).

darichman

• MC Beta Team
Re: default values for "album" in video files
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 02:53:19 am »

I agree. I always end up with hundreds of "date" entries for albums...

I honestly rather have "unassigned"...

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 03:32:42 am »

Since I upgraded to MC12, I've had a handfull of videos which I could not set the Album field to anything other than this default date imported value. Every time I set it to something meaningful, it would look like it worked for a while and then for some reason would always default back. In the end I opted to remove Album from my video view schemes altogether.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 03:44:08 am »

Since I upgraded to MC12, I've had a handfull of videos which I could not set the Album field to anything other than this default date imported value. Every time I set it to something meaningful, it would look like it worked for a while and then for some reason would always default back.

Three of my avi files do this as well. They are divx ones I've encoded myself, along with hundreds of others. No idea why the album won't stick with these ones.

Edit: File size?

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 04:05:19 am »

Actually yes, come to think of it the problem was filesize related. All the vids I had problems with were > 2 gig. This was the only thing they had in common - ie different filetypes etc.
Z-Wave Home Automation

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 04:15:15 am »

Since I upgraded to MC12, I've had a handfull of videos which I could not set the Album field to anything other than this default date imported value. Every time I set it to something meaningful, it would look like it worked for a while and then for some reason would always default back. In the end I opted to remove Album from my video view schemes altogether.

In any case this must be related to Auto-Import. MC does not automatically repopulate library fields if Auto-Import and its maintaining options are off. On my PCs Auto-Import will remain off unless JRiver changes the "update for external changes" and "fix broken links" to directory specific like the actual import is. Then I could let Otto fully maintain only a couple of specific folders, which contain more or less temporary stuff.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 04:35:42 am »

In any case this must be related to Auto-Import. MC does not automatically repopulate library fields if Auto-Import and its maintaining options are off.
I agree. Check your auto-import task settings, making sure that "fix broken links" is set to leave network files.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 04:51:21 am »

I agree. Check your auto-import task settings, making sure that "fix broken links" is set to leave network files.

I have a couple of watch folders which OTTO looks after for me but I don't use auto-import for anything else. The video files I had this issue with where no where near these watch folders. They were files already in my library from version 11 - ie, already imported. The problem only began in 12.
Z-Wave Home Automation

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 05:00:15 am »

I have a couple of watch folders which OTTO looks after for me but I don't use auto-import for anything else. The video files I had this issue with where no where near these watch folders. They were files already in my library from version 11 - ie, already imported. The problem only began in 12.

... On my PCs Auto-Import will remain off unless JRiver changes the "update for external changes" and "fix broken links" to directory specific like the actual import is. Then I could let Otto fully maintain only a couple of specific folders, which contain more or less temporary stuff.

These two "maintaining" functions are not tied to the folder list. They work on the entire library when enabled.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 05:15:29 am »

These two "maintaining" functions are not tied to the folder list. They work on the entire library when enabled.

This is fine but I rely on this for other auto-import duties. As I said, I chose to accept the problem and my work-around was to do away with the "album" field for all video view schemes.

Thanks.
Z-Wave Home Automation

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 05:43:16 am »

This is fine but I rely on this for other auto-import duties.

It is not fine. It should be changed.

I am not going the let Otto maintain all 50000 files. I would like to give him only a couple of easy tasks.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 05:53:05 am »

It is not fine. It should be changed.

I agree with you.
Z-Wave Home Automation

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 11:46:58 pm »

just like to mention again how useless a bunch of dates is to me (even for home movies). The filename or volume name would be much more useful in the album field.

bbrip

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 12:12:18 pm »

Agree, should be changed. I find this date filling really annoying. Why dont you default Album to Name ?  Normally I owuld use Album to have the video Title and name for the various sections, Main Film, Behind The Scenes, Directors Interview  whatever....

jmmttu77

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 05:49:29 pm »

I dont know if this is the same thing everyone is talking about, but:

With Dvds ripped to hard drive in separate folders and the folders named the title of the Dvd...while in Theater View, I can drill down by location and easily see which Dvd I would want to select.  I have not found a way in Standard View to be able to easily view the name of the folders.  Like someone mentioned, I did see the dates.
Pages: [1]   Go Up