INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What version of MJ will have Virtuosa style transparentcy etc.  (Read 1433 times)

Stephen C

What version of MJ will have Virtuosa style transparentcy etc.
« on: September 07, 2002, 02:17:36 pm »

I have been using MJ for quite a while now. And I was glad to see the Ver 8 come about. And nothing beats it in organization and searching of large database. But, and this is a big but, MJ is down right ugly in comparison to several others. And I feel that the FEELING of warmth found in nicer looking players is a markitable and expected element in a multimedia application.

Case in point www.virtuosa.com offers transparent interface so you can have any background you want as well as visualizations that are transparent, dockable etc.

Musicmatch has a few mini interfaces that are more usable that the Winamps we have available. But the real meat of the issue is Mega-Me interface. We like MJ because it is powerful. But I for one after reviewing the skins available (Please hire some artist that can think in curved shapes. Even rounded.)feel short changed by having to stare at a boring "Windows type Window" so darn much of my day as well as having to swap out to 2xExplorer (can get it at zdnet.com) to do the heavy file managment I can not do in this supposedly powerful yet intimidating MJ. That is what my friends say everytime I suggest they try MJ. They feel like they are into something their not supposed to be in. Translation; "Warning this is a work area. And only smart people allowed."

Kerensky

• Recent member
RE:What version of MJ will have Virtuosa style transparentcy etc.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2002, 04:10:17 pm »

Stephen, I completely agree with you. I think MJ is light years ahead of just about every other media player in terms of features and MP3 management. Unfortunately I also think MJ is several generations behind most other media players in its looks, skinning abilities, flashiness, and even somewhat in UI layout. MJ8 was a nice step in the right direction, but IMHO fell short of where it needed to be. I think the boring look of MJ has actually become a real liability to its success. Unforunately I've gotten the impression that the MJ staff haven't taken this problem as seriously as I think they should. I design skins in my free time and I can tell you that I haven't even bothered porting my skins to MJ8 because it's so lacking in several features that it's just not worth it to me. This is despite the fact that I use MJ daily as my default media player. On the other hand when I look at the amazing skinning features the new Winamp 3 offers, it has made me really excited to build skins for it. And I don't even use Winamp! Anyway, I just think it is a shame that such a great media player should have to be curtailed by it boring looks. I can only hope MJ9 will fix this problem once and for all.

BipolarONE

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2002, 12:15:19 am »

Glad I'm not alone in this. Knew I wasn't but nice to hear another voice. I hope to hear from a MJ staff member even if they just say transparency etc is sure to make it into version 209. I realize or maybe assume too much that MJ is a minor concern for JRiver that makes the vast majority of their earnings in unrelated development. I suspect MJ was initially a way of publicizing their existance in the first place. And that that may be beyond the bottom line point anymore. But think of it for a moment if Media Jukebox had its present feature richness combined with the knock out graphic capabilties of Virtuosa i have to beleive it would be worth marketing and repectible attention that would be far beyond wining a few (more than a few, I know) best of show awards that is on the table now.

I have only seen a screen shot of MJ 9 and it looks the same, and from what i have read it is still very betaish so I will not delve in just yet.

It does amaze me though how large organizations fail to learn what a rookie managment trainee learns almost from day one. It may be productivity that will keep him or her employeed, but it is presentation that will get you promoted and carried over when the inevitible corporate or departmental restructuring occurs.

Bye the way, while you are skinning apps you don't even use look into making organizational templates for Virtuosa then e-mail me your'e announcment to the world you have resculpting of yet another less usable yet lovely application. If I like it I'll by you a six pack of soda. stephen_tacoma_wa@msn.com

I hope we see a few more replys on this thread. Later.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2002, 06:18:12 am »

While I would love to see MJ combine beauty with brains, I have to admit that I would take brains over beauty anyday. And unfortunately, I think you're going to find that most of the vocal users here have no use for skins and visualizations. The JRiver guys are really responsive to user requests. And the user requests they've received more often here are that the userbase would rather see more features than fancy skins.

I agree completely, that the vast majority of people out there are more interested in flash than substance. If JRiver made MJ look like Virtuosa, they'd probably see an increase in sales. It just seems like most people just look at what skins are available before they even look at the programs's capabailities.

Kerensky

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2002, 09:54:57 am »

Doof, I agree myself that I would overall rather have features and substance over flash and style, but my point I guess is why can't we have both? I mean from what I've seen, MJ is so far ahead of every other media player out there in terms of MP3 management and features, so why can't they take a little time to work on the GUI and skinning engine, which is a obvious area they're behind? From what I've seen Winamp 3 has the best skinning engine. Why can't MJ but copy their features?

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2002, 09:59:09 am »

Kerensky,
Did you try porting your skins?

What's missing from the skinning engine?

Jim
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Kerensky

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2002, 10:49:26 am »

JimH, yes I did try porting over some of my skins. Unfortunately because of some features the skinning engine lacked, I'd would have had to change the look, or abilites of several skin. Once I realized the you weren't going to be adding any more skinning features to MJ8 I basically lost interest and gave up. The fact that Winamp 3 came out recently with all of its great skinning features also distracted me from MJ8 skinning. In previous posts during the beta of MJ8 I have offered several suggestions for skinning features. Here are some of them:

1. Mega-Me and Mini-Me should have the same skinning features/abilities.

2. Skinning engine should have all the features that Winamp 3.0 has.

3. Mini-me skins should be able to display the left media tree pane, instead of just the playlist pane.

4. Instead of having to use standard fonts, include support for skinned fonts. This is where, with .bmps, you can map out a alphabet, and numbers that the player would use instead of a regular font. Quintessential, Coolplayer, and Winamp 3 already support this with their skinning engines and it's one of the coolest features I've ever seen.

5. When the mute function, I'd like a way to keep the mute button displaying the down .bmp while the player is muted.

6. With playlists in mini-me mode, there should be the ability to customize what info in displayed. The default seems to be Track # - Artist - Song Name - Song Length. This may be possible already, but I haven't been able to find out how. Personally I'd just like to display Track # - Song Name - Song Length.

7. When displaying the elapsed or remaining time, allow skin authors to specify how many digits are displayed at any one time. Right now from what I can see, MJ displays only as many digits as is needed (with most songs usually m:ss), but for instance in one of my skins I'd like to specify that the elapsed time be displayed like hh:mm:ss always even is the unused digits only display 0's when not being used.

8. Add support for Windows XP features like ClearType font smoothing and Alpha Blending Window edges.

9. Include ability to specify the background color of the currently playing song.

10. Include ability to change the icons throughout MJ.

11. Include ability to use the media library search bar in skins.

Also, here are some more general feature suggestions I have for MJ9:
1. Try to work out a deal to use EAC's ripping engine.

2. Add support for iPod.

3. Add an option for jumping to “Playing Now” with single songs instead of just albums.

4. Add option for displaying track info for currently playing song in taskbar.

5. Add support for controlling basic functions when MJ is minimized in the system tray, and via right-clicking in taskbar.

6. Add tool to help find duplicate songs in media library.

7. Move, or allow moving, search bar to toolbar or other location on the main window.

8. Add option to hide “Seq” column in the “Playing Now” and "Playlist" windows.

9. Enable more customization of the left tree panel, including being able to hide and/or delete certain parts.

10. Add ability to completely cache a song or even album in the background while playing.

11. Add option to auto collapse open left tree directories when MJ jumps to “Playing Now” to play a song.

12. Add support for MP3Pro and HDCD.

13. Add ability to view foreign language characters (Unicode) in playlists, media tree, and elsewhere.

14. Make new better quality icons throughout MJ.

BipolarONE

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2002, 10:55:41 am »

Ipod functionality will be very important to me as i will be buying the Windows version this month.

faithless

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2002, 02:32:54 pm »

I love MJ but wish it could look as good as Media Player 9 or REAL.

I've been playing around with Media Player 9 for the last few days and it's really starting to make me wonder if I should switch back.

I know - I know - Media Player doesn't have many of the functions that are in MJ - but it sure does look nice !

I guess I just feel the MJ interface is very dated and getting left behind when compared to its competitors.  Each new release of REAL or Media Player seems to improve both the functionality and GUI.  Whereas, MJ seems to improve the functionality and not so much the GUI.

I'm not trying to offend anyone with this message.  I really want MJ to become the most widely used player in the world.  But I just don't see this happening with its current GUI.

Mark
UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up