INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stopping side downloading w/library server  (Read 892 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Stopping side downloading w/library server
« on: November 15, 2006, 11:43:45 am »

Would you be able to add some automatic stopping feature in the library server so MC doesn't waste bandwidth downloading extra materials?  I find that music streams fine once all the extras are downloaded.

For example, if I search for an artist, it brings up all the CDs with that artist on it.  Playing music is terrible until all those CD covers are downloaded, at which point everything calms down and streaming works fine.  I feel like MC just takes all the bandwidth from the music streaming.

If MC could slow down its secondary processes or perhaps do a quick bandwidth check to see how fast it should allow those side downloads to go on.  It also applies perfectly to images because it continually downloads for thumbnails while it should be only downloading for the image.

The drawback to its current setup is that music stutters repeatedly until the extras are fully downloaded and cached.

Also, upon closing MC, it usually waits to close until its current download is finished.  So, I click close but it takes 10-120 seconds before it will close.  I can force it to close but that isn't good everyday use, obviously.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Stopping side downloading w/library server
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 02:42:49 pm »

For example, if I search for an artist, it brings up all the CDs with that artist on it.  Playing music is terrible until all those CD covers are downloaded, at which point everything calms down and streaming works fine.

One way around this would be to tell the server to "build missing thumbnails."  This might take an hour or two depending on the size of your library and the speed of you connection, but once it's done, it won't have to do it again for these albums.  New albums, of course, will download art.

Also, upon closing MC, it usually waits to close until its current download is finished.  So, I click close but it takes 10-120 seconds before it will close.  I can force it to close but that isn't good everyday use, obviously.

120 seconds?  How big are the files and how fast is the connection?  That seems like a ridiculously long time for it to take.

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding something here.

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up