INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Build 113] Problems with audio level playing video files  (Read 2082 times)

Deivit

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I find your interest interesting...
[Build 113] Problems with audio level playing video files
« on: November 15, 2006, 12:34:56 pm »

Hi,

I'm opening a separate thread since I'm not sure whether this is a bug or something related to my setup.

Just installed build 113 to test the new feature (Thanks Yaobing)

3. Changed: Filter selection is allowed for Windows Media types (transform filters, i.e. decoders only - the source filter will always be WM Asf Reader).

Trying to play an avi/xvid file that played well yesterday, I realize that the volume level lowers dramatically, making it almost unlistenable at my regular volume level. However, playing subsequently an audio file, the audio level returns to normal. I've tried with several video files with the same result... audio very low.

I've tried restarting MC and rebooting the computer with same results... audio very low for video files (Avi/Xvid). Those files play in MC using ffdshow. The filters that MC shows as used are:

- Default Direct Sound Device
- VideoMixingRenderer9
- ffdshow Audio Decoder
- ffdshow MPEG-4 Video Decoder

Reinstalled build 112 and everything works as expected... the audio level for the same video file returns to normal, therefore it's something specific to build 113 and maybe my own setup?

Any help with be very much appreciated.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: [Build 113] Problems with audio level playing video files
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 12:51:59 pm »

I don't know (and somewhat doubt) that it has to do with that ASF related change from Yaobing, though it could have to do with the new "internal volume control works on video files" change.  Either way, I didn't test it, but I did notice yesterday that the audio for my video files in MC was very low, and I had to actually stand up, walk over, and turn up my amp (gasp!).

I did no empirical testing though, and didn't try rolling back to build 112 (I assumed it was the particular XviD files that I was playing at the time).

On second thought though... They were all part of a set that had been previously too loud if anything.  I will test more this evening...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 05:38:17 pm »

Most likely glynor is right. It is probably due to my recent changes to allow internal volume. I set the default volume to -10dB (this is relative, since it also depends on your system volume) - not wanting to cause damage to your ears when it is played unexpectedly loud.

CORRECTION: I think I set the default volume to -20dB instead of -10dB that I intended to use. I will change that.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 05:47:08 pm »

Would that only apply if you were actually using Internal Volume though?  I am not (System Volume only baby), and it does still seem (I haven't tested yet) that the files are quieter with yesterday's build.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 05:51:23 pm »

Would that only apply if you were actually using Internal Volume though?  I am not (System Volume only baby), and it does still seem (I haven't tested yet) that the files are quieter with yesterday's build.
Currently the default is used if you are not using internal volume. When you do use internal volume, the actual value on the slider gets used (although the translation from the percentage on the slider to the value used by DirectShow is completely empirical).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 08:30:49 am »

Okay... I checked it out last night and there is definitely a big volume level problem on these builds.  Not surprising considering what you found...

I, personally, would much rather you not attenuate the volume of video at all.  If it's too loud, that's what the volume level control is for...  It just makes it too hard to get the volume high enough on videos that are set properly (which, for me at least, is most of them).

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 08:55:23 am »

OK, I hear you (loudly) ;)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 09:53:18 am »

This is a welcomed feature, but please use it only with the "Internal Volume" setting.

For avoiding any possible problems you really should make the "System Volume" option to not alter the audio stream at all.

I think I already found a problem with an "MPEG2 video/LPCM audio" file that worked fine previously. The audio was not decoded correctly, it sounded like a loud buzz.

After spending some time with the direct show filter options I could correct this particular problem, but I have no idea yet how my new filter selection works with other files.

Edit

I mean that the System Volume should work as before. Adjust the audio driver's master volume slider when possible but do not add any new volume alterations.

When Internal Volume is maximized it should bypass any alterations as well (similarly like audio files can be played bit perfectly when Internal Volume is not attenuated).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 10:30:55 am »

Thank you guys for having found the problem  :)

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 11:04:39 am »

This is a welcomed feature, but please use it only with the "Internal Volume" setting.

For avoiding any possible problems you really should make the "System Volume" option to not alter the audio stream at all.

I think I already found a problem with an "MPEG2 video/LPCM audio" file that worked fine previously. The audio was not decoded correctly, it sounded like a loud buzz.

After spending some time with the direct show filter options I could correct this particular problem, but I have no idea yet how my new filter selection works with other files.

Edit

I mean that the System Volume should work as before. Adjust the audio driver's master volume slider when possible but do not add any new volume alterations.

When Internal Volume is maximized it should bypass any alterations as well (similarly like audio files can be played bit perfectly when Internal Volume is not attenuated).

For next build:

Changed: DX Video player and DVD player will not try setting internal volume if the user chooses System volume.

Having said that, there is no avoiding messing with internal volume when it comes to FF/REW. I have to mute the audio, and the only way to mute it is to set its volume to the lowest. When unmuting, I set it back to whatever value it had before muting. Let me know if this is still a problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up