INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does the Zune work with Media Center 12?  (Read 3490 times)

icanrule

• World Citizen
Does the Zune work with Media Center 12?
« on: November 15, 2006, 08:59:37 pm »

I'm hoping to buy a Microsoft Zune in the future but I won't if your aren't compatible with it.  I understand that you have to use the Microsoft software to get it to work but you guys found a work around for the Ipod so it shouldn't be hard to find a work around for the Zune. 

Has anyone bought a Zune and tested it with J. Rivers Media Center?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Does the Zune work with Media Center 12?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 09:08:46 pm »

I'm reasonably sure that now that it is released, JRiver will buy one and make it work if it's at all possible to do so.

(Didn't realize the 14th was yesterday!)  ;D
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 09:37:24 pm »

There are a couple of Zune threads here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=8.0

The early verdict is that Microsoft pulled a Sony with the Zune. (closed, proprietary, etc.)

This was an artificial marketing decision since the device is a rebadged Gigabeat and the Zune sofware is using essentially the same technology for transfers that MC already supports.

With that said, we have managed to trick the Zune into appearing in MC and listing files and playlists, but it still rejects transfers.  We'll keep you posted if we make any more headway on this front.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 09:53:44 pm »

I can't see how Microsoft will score a big hit with this player.  They didn't even support Playsforsure!  I may have been interested if it worked with Yahoo Music Unlimited, but it doesn't.

Microsoft is trying to copy the iTunes model, but I doubt how they will capture much market share away from Apple.

Maybe the Zune3 will be fantastic if it follows the MS rule of third version.

As for me, I'm not much interested in the Zune and I'm almost always interested in the newest digital music players.

lOth

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 10:14:51 pm »

and you know the best part? as of now, the Zune is incompatible with Vista...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 10:39:02 pm »

and you know the best part? as of now, the Zune is incompatible with Vista...

Well, no, that's just good.  The best part is the error message:

Click to enlarge.

Is she angry?  Or is she very, very happy?  And what's that other girl doing with that guy?

lOth

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 10:41:50 pm »

some people argue she's just singing... Personally, I think she just tried to install the Zune media player on Vista.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 10:42:43 pm »

;D  ;D  ;D

That ain't singing, unless she's trying out for a remake of this movie.

icanrule

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 05:51:48 pm »

I have no confidence in anyone who says that Zune is incompatible with Vista.  I actually just ignore people who mention that because Microsoft Vista is not going to be available until January 31st, 2007 at the earliest.   It will be hacked long before the release of Vista. 

Their are betas, RC versions and even that Bill Gates version but Microsoft doesn't care about the people who use those versions.  Anyone who is willing to try those versions have to expect that things are not going to work because they aren't the final version. 

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 08:11:04 pm »

Ummm... Check your facts.  The news stories are about the Zune not working with the Vista RTM (Released To Manufacturer) build, not the previous "preview" builds.  Vista is done.  It went gold and is now not going to change at all between now and when it is released in January, barring them finding some huge disaster bug.  Many MSDN customers already have the final build installed!  It is most certainly available now.  (And you'll be able to buy it yourself starting November 30 at CompUSA as long as you buy the "business edition" and at least 5 licenses.)

It is just not going to be sold to the general public until January (there's a big difference).

The time between now and then is for hardware and software vendors to get their stuff up-to-snuff before it is released, and to give Microsoft time to produce and distribute all the physical materials they need to for the launch.

That said... I'm sure Microsoft will fix the problems with the Zune before Vista is released.  But they will fix it by updating the Zune's software, not by changing Vista in any way.  What's amusing about the story is that if you buy someone a Zune for the holidays over the next few weeks, and they try to plug the CD that comes with it into their shiny new Vista install next Feb, that it won't work.  They'll need to download updated drivers from Microsoft for it to work.

Of course... The same thing can be said for most hardware that's out right now, so I don't think this is the huge deal that some people are making of it.

But saying "oh, that's just silly, Vista isn't even done yet" is quite wrong.

lOth

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 10:12:59 pm »

What about this one : Zune Only Finds 600 Music Files in Library of 3,000 Mp3s.

You know what? my iPod is getting old, my phone sucks, I guess I'll just wait to buy an iPhone. As is usually the case with Apple players, chances are it will work with MC within a couple days of the release.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 11:11:12 pm »

Ars posted a review of the Zune.

The verdict?

The Zune is quite a compelling product, but it shows a strange schizophrenia of spirit. The detail work on the device is elegant and illustrates the thoughtful care lavished on the product, but basic functionality is crippled or poorly implemented.

When the switch to a closed ecosystem means that users will have to forgo all of their DRMed tracks to use the new player, we'd at least expect basics like syncing to work without problems. Isn't that the point of making the switch in the first place?

When so much attention is spent on gorgeous packaging, but the player locks up in less than 10 seconds of use, it raises questions. To unseat a player like the iPod and to convince users to ditch any PlaysforSure tracks they might own, Microsoft needed to hit a home run on launch day. At best, they knocked a long double off the wall. That's pretty good, but not when you're down by six in the eighth inning.

This isn't to say that the Zune is not a cool product. It is. But much of this is only "potential coolness." If you're looking for an attractive music player with a great screen and a fine interface, the Zune is worth a look. If you want a device that makes it simple to watch and share viral video clips, swap music, and put its WiFi to good use, the Zune may disappoint. We do believe that the Zune has potential, but not enough to score it higher than a seven. There are simply too many problems right now.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 11:22:59 pm »

The early verdict is that Microsoft pulled a Sony with the Zune. (closed, proprietary, etc.)

When are manufacturers going to realize that this attitude results in FEWER sales.  In their greed for more profit, they actually end up making decisions that work AGAINST them.  Will they ever see the irony in this?

Larry

icanrule

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 11:37:14 pm »

You are absolutely correct glynor, thank you for backing me up on that one.  They have gone gold and they will not be available for public use until January 30th, 2007.  You are also correct with saying that their will probably be a driver update after Windows Vista is installed on the computer when Vista is official. 

I'm just tired of people saying what will and will not work with Windows Vista.  No one has any idea of what the release date of January 30th, 2007 will bring upon us.  I can see a disk 2 coming with the release called "Updates" that fix all the problems with the released version of Windows Vista. 

lOth

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 06:58:52 am »

you know, I don't really care whether the player will be compatible or not with Vista when it's released because I probably won't update to Vista for several months and also because, as was said here, the player can be updated to fix the issue. No, the problem is that this incompatibility seems to me to be symptomatic of the care that's not been put, apparently, in the making of that player. To me, it seems like a clear sign that the Zune is a botch in several important areas, probably because the project team had to comply with a sales calendar (a little bit like the Wii and the ability to play DVDs). Maybe next version or this one after a few firmware updates, but for now it's a no.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2006, 09:09:39 am »

When are manufacturers going to realize that this attitude results in FEWER sales.  In their greed for more profit, they actually end up making decisions that work AGAINST them.  Will they ever see the irony in this?

I know...

One would think that Sony, of all companies, would have learned it's lesson by now.  They've had basically one never-ending string of products which failed largely due to their obnoxious proprietary behavior.  Let's count them shall we?

Betamax, Minidisc, SDDS (Sony Dynamic Digital Sound), SACD, UMD, ATRAC, Memory Stick, and on and on...

And then, if you look at the list of their products that succeeded, it reads like a list of their non-proprietary joint-venture programs:  Compact Disc, S/PDIF, 3.5" Floppy Disks...

They have had a few brief gems of proprietary greatness, Video8/Digital8 (which has now been largely surpassed by MiniDV but at least it was popular for a while) and Trinitron, for example, but that has been far from the norm.

I wouldn't guess that BluRay will also be an exception, but we will see...

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2006, 09:45:46 pm »

One would think that Sony, of all companies, would have learned it's lesson by now.

Glynor, how true that is!  Sony has really dropped the ball.  When you think about it, Sony should've been the "iPod" creator.  The Walkman started it all, but Sony couldn't continue the evolution.  Then, when they finally design a portable digital player they destroy it with ATRAC.

I think the downfall accelerated when they got into the Music and Movie businesses.  If they stuck to hardware, they might still be king.  Imagine if they focused on creating the best MP3 player and weren't worried about protecting their content.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2006, 07:39:45 am »

When are manufacturers going to realize that this attitude results in FEWER sales. 
You mean the same way, that instant messaging systems are just as incompatible.

When there is no barrier, invent one, I don't think they ever want you to play stuff from anyone else on their product.

..unless its mp3...which makes its life guranteed for some more time now :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up