INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FLAC files won't sync to my Rio Karma  (Read 2123 times)

matthewmattical

• Junior Woodchuck
FLAC files won't sync to my Rio Karma
« on: November 16, 2006, 02:04:20 pm »

I'm running MC 12.0.114 with my aging Rio Karma and cannot transfer any FLAC files to it. I've tried this in both Vista RC2 and XP Pro with the same issue. I assume it's a problem with Scot's new FLAC decoder for version 12, as this used to work fine in MC11. The Karma natively supports FLAC, so there shouldn't be any transcoding going on. Any ideas? Thanks.

SwellGuy

Re: FLAC files won't sync to my Rio Karma
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 02:57:55 pm »

Make sure under handheld options > Files & Paths > Supported Types that 'flac' is listed.

matthewmattical

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 02:20:57 am »

FLAC is most definitely listed: wma;mp3;aa;asf;flac;ogg;wav. Any other ideas? Thanks.

SwellGuy

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 09:20:07 am »

Did it work with earlier versions of 12? How does it fail to tranfer? If you change the handheld option 'Enable album artwork support if possible' does it work?

matthewmattical

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 12:25:17 pm »

I presume it has never worked with 12 - it just took me until now to realize that I was missing several albums worth of music on the Rio. I transfer a mixed batch of MP3 and FLAC to it that only amounts to a few gigs currently.

While watching the transfer status, the FLAC files appear to have no problem. They get their check mark and move on to the next file. But when I go to browse the Rio when finished, they're simply not there.

I'll try switching the album artwork setting later today, although I think I've already attempted that. Thanks for the tips.

SwellGuy

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 01:33:45 pm »

We've made a small change today that may fix this. Try it with tonights build and let us know.

matthewmattical

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 04:36:42 pm »

Still no dice with 12.0.116. Everything appears to sync fine, but I see none of my FLAC albums on the Rio after the fact.  :-\

My MC experience with the Karma in general has been pretty problematic. (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=31690.0) Is there something about MTP devices that is inherently troublesome?

AoXoMoXoA

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 09:12:32 am »

I have read on another forum of people having problems with flac files on another player besides Rio, and in their case the solution was to re-encode the files using a different converter.
In this particular case the original conversion was done with dbPower, and when the flac files failed to sync they were run through another converter (this time foobar) after which they were sync'ed without problem.
While this may not be the issue here, I thought it worth mentioning as the oddballs are the ones that we have the most difficulty unraveling and it always helps to eliminate possiblilities.
You may also want to try using the Rio Music Manager software to see if it can sucessfully sync these same flac files that MC cannot.
. . . the game is rigged

matthewmattical

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 11:41:19 am »

Thanks for the ideas. The encoding idea could actually make some sense here. I've encoded nearly all my FLAC files with Scot Thompson's FLAC encoder for MC version 11. I've only encoded a handful of albums to FLAC using the new encoder version for MC12. I'm nearly positive that all the FLACs I'm currently trying to sync to my Rio were encoded in MC 11. Could something have changed in the new FLAC encoder/decoder vesions that's causing it to stumble on these old files? I can play them perfectly fine in MC12, but transferring to a handheld could be another issue.

I'll try to sync a newly-encoded FLAC file tonight and see how it goes.

Also of note: transferring in MC 11 worked just great with FLAC, so this problem is definitely unique to MC12/FLAC 2.0 plugins.

matthewmattical

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 02:13:23 pm »

I re-encoded an album to FLAC in MC12 yesterday using the 2.0.1 FLAC encoder. I formatted my Rio Karma, dropped one of these newly-encoded FLAC files on it, and checked to find "no files" on the device itself. Bummer.  ?

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 02:56:43 pm »

I would still suggest a test using the Rio Music Manager software, if it does not work there either then the problem must lie outside of MC.
. . . the game is rigged

scthom

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 03:43:30 pm »

I agree.  Most likely, if the file plays fine or reports OK by the command-line flac, then the file is fine and it's the player or MC during the conversion.

There was a change between ver 1 and 2 (MC11/MC12) but shouldn't have this effect.
Pages: [1]   Go Up