INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video iPod, how to import videos and podcasts  (Read 4078 times)

dazzle

• Recent member
Video iPod, how to import videos and podcasts
« on: December 19, 2006, 08:29:06 am »

Hi there

I have used itunes to download videos and podcasts up until now.  I would like to switch to Media Center.  What is the best way to import these onto an ipod?  Will the ipod recognise what they are and sort them or do I have to setup playlists in MC.  I would like to group all the different podcasts under there groupings as in itunes.

Your help would be greatly aprpecited

Kind regards

Dave

SwellGuy

Re: Video iPod, how to import videos and podcasts
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 09:43:18 am »

You will have to set up playlists. In order for the iPod to correctly recognize the different types of files you transfer to it you should also fill in the 'Media Sub Type' field in MC.

brainsoup

• World Citizen
  • Sexy! No No No...
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 03:42:27 am »

I think a lot of people don't know about this tag and are having difficulty finding it... is it possible to make it a tag that is displayed by default for mp4 files? Would help people out! :D

dcwebman

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 08:25:59 am »

In order for the iPod to correctly recognize the different types of files you transfer to it you should also fill in the 'Media Sub Type' field in MC.
Stupid question, but what are the valid values for the Media Sub Type field?
Jeff

SwellGuy

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 11:04:28 am »

Right now...

Audiobook
Movie
Music Video
Podcast
Radio
TV Show

We know this a pretty elusive and unknown field - it was added as a workaround for iPod synchronization. We are overdue for a pretty big overhauling of how we sync to iPod's (and potentially all devices for that matter) and how media sub type is presented will be part of that effort.

micahmj11

• Junior Woodchuck
  • This is war peacock. Casualties are inevitable.
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2006, 10:21:43 am »

Media Sub Type has been working well for me...almost.  I have a bunch of videos to which I have assigned a Media Sub Type.  I have used Movie, Music Video, Podcast, and TV Show.  They all work as expected except TV Show.  After I sync, my movies, music videos, and podcasts are all sorted under the proper menu headings on the ipod.  But there are no TV Shows.  My TV shows are still uploaded, but they only appear in the video playlist section of the ipod, not under a TV Show heading.  Is anyone else having this problem, and does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2006, 10:33:43 am »

If you have any TV shows that do work, try taking a look at the media type.  Is it identical?

micahmj11

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2006, 12:59:54 pm »

None of my TV Shows work correctly on my ipod.  There is no TV Show header in the video menu.  Does anyone else have TV Shows working on their ipod?

SwellGuy

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2006, 12:18:45 pm »

We'll look into it as soon as we're back to the grind (early next week).

GangofFour

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 10:44:56 pm »

Has this been resolved? Is there a way to import TV Shows into an ipod and have them show up in a "TV Show" menu under Videos?

As described by others in this thread, I'm tagging them as "TV Show" under Media Sub Type and they basically don't show in the ipod. No "TV Show" menu under videos in the iPod either.

micahmj11

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 12:11:27 am »

I continue to have this problem.  The TV Show tag in the media sub type field seems to have no effect.  Has this been looked into?

SwellGuy

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 01:54:32 pm »

Yes. We have some work to do to get back in-line with the latest iPod database structure.

olarte

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 09:58:12 am »

This does not seem to work for Audiobooks either.

I setup an audiobook playlist, added the Media Subtype Audiobook (as well as the Genre as Audiobook).

Sync'd the playlist to the ipod 80g with JRiver 12.301.

The files show up unde the Genre Audiobook, and the playlist but do not show up under the Audiobooks category, or act like an audiobook, (bookmarks, etc...)

Please advise

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 01:18:38 pm »

olarte,

Audiobooks need to be in fileformat m4b...you can convert your mp3s or either format in Itunes to m4a...then just rename the extension to b
and they will show up under Audiobooks on your Ipod and have bookmarks..(the tag AudioBook in MC "mediasub.." is of no use)

regarding tvshows...hope to get this fixed in MC soon, so i dont need to use Itunes for tagging  :)

MT5FR

olarte

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 01:50:24 pm »

olarte,

Audiobooks need to be in fileformat m4b...you can convert your mp3s or either format in Itunes to m4a...then just rename the extension to b
and they will show up under Audiobooks on your Ipod and have bookmarks..(the tag AudioBook in MC "mediasub.." is of no use)

Thanks, Unfortunately (or should I say Fortunately) I don't use Itunes... do you know of any 3rd party programs that will convert the mp3s into the M4a or m4b format?

thanks in advance
Olarte

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 02:39:15 pm »

you can try bonc http://www.bonkenc.org/index.php and with yamb http://yamb.unite-video.com/index.html# you can cut & join easy  :)

i normally merge the mp3's first with http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/MP3Merger/
MT5FR

kirkfrey

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2007, 03:43:12 pm »

I think a lot of people don't know about this tag and are having difficulty finding it... is it possible to make it a tag that is displayed by default for mp4 files? Would help people out! :D

Ditto!  Can anyone throw together a "Step by step for Dummies" on the subject of getting Video / Video podcasts onto the iPod and working???

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2007, 04:17:37 pm »

If your version of MC is current, it should do this automatically when you sync any video or podcasts.

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2007, 05:42:03 pm »

Ditto!  Can anyone throw together a "Step by step for Dummies" on the subject of getting Video / Video podcasts onto the iPod and working???

i will do that tomorrow if i have the time  :)
MT5FR

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2007, 04:40:34 am »

..."Step by step..."  :)

"Movies"

With zero tags, all video will end up under "Movies"....but it can be quite unorganized to have all videos under movies
since there are no group possibilities...

note: the videos will also pop up under the playlist they belong to when you synch the ipod...so there is some organizing..
personally i dont like it...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Podcast Video"

With Tag "Podcast" in MC field "Genre", the videos will end up under Podcast and Podcast video

note: The Tagged Podcast Videos will also show up under Music/Podcast...this is a "feature" and you will be able
to listen to video

tip: with prefix in front of the artist you can at least have some sorting under podcasts

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Music Video"

With Tag "Music Video" in MC field "Media Sub Type", the videos will show up under "Music Videos"... :o

note: you can group on artist, Music videos will also show up under Music..i guess this is also a feature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"TV Show"

There is also a Tag called "TV Show"...this group will only show up on the ipod when the file is correct Tagged...

To set these tags, you can use iTunes...but it sucks, takes a long time and you can only tag one file at a time...
but there is help  ;D....with this little nice tool http://www.floola.com/ you can set this tag in no time
multi tagging and so on...so now you can group videos under /TV Show/Show/

note: if you set the tag "TV Show" you can not synch the iPod within MC with the option "Delete from handheld...."
MC wants to delete the files
>:(

note 2: there is also a second grouping in tag "TV Show" called season, but then you need other tools (below)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Other"

MC crew has recently created a function to convert "not iPod formats" to mp4...you can choose from 2 different ones,
the difference is quality...but if you want to synch you first have to transfer your ipodformat files first with option
"no conversion" since MC otherwise will try to convert already functional formats...

my note: the conversion option is really neat, but it seems to give you errors..but next time you synch
they work so if you have larger files..convert them first with some other tool..

my note 2: the conversion is OK for visual but for audio is not good enough for music videos

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

there are other tools like http://atomicparsley.sourceforge.net/ and http://tvtagger.wordpress.com/ if you want to tag the files easily, but they
write to the file itself and since MC dont read mp4tags you have to use iTunes as the "middleman"...
MT5FR
Pages: [1]   Go Up