INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Appending "Name"  (Read 1162 times)

bigcuedaddy

• Junior Woodchuck
  • computers are just a fad
Appending "Name"
« on: January 01, 2007, 11:22:59 am »

I want to append all my "live" track names with the phrase "(Live Version)" after the name, to avoid mixing them with studio versions. I have about 2,000 concert files, so appending them one by one isnt a great answer. Any suggestions?

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Appending "Name"
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 11:34:52 am »

#1.  King Sparta has a great plugin, "Data master", which will do this in about 30 seconds.  I believe you can also do it using "rename files from properties", on a somewhat more limited basis.

#2.  I would not do this to the "Name" Tag, but rather just the filename, if you're determined to do this.  I tried doing this to some of my tracks as "Name" and found that MC would not by default bring up "Layla (Live)" when searching for "Layla".  So I instead created custom fields to hold info such as "version" or "mix".

#3.  I do think it's important to append indicators to your tracks to prevent one version from overwriting a different version when doing things like "copy disk files".  Currently I'm messing around with adding the track length, although it looks really messy.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 01:37:37 pm »

#1.  King Sparta has a great plugin, "Data master", which will do this in about 30 seconds.

No Cigar, Nice Try However
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 02:34:51 pm »

#2.  I would not do this to the "Name" Tag, but rather just the filename, if you're determined to do this.  I tried doing this to some of my tracks as "Name" and found that MC would not by default bring up "Layla (Live)" when searching for "Layla".  So I instead created custom fields to hold info such as "version" or "mix".

You HAVE to use the name tag if you want to see this distinction on a portable device.  If I have 3 copies of Layla (for example), then I need the modifier as part of the name to be able to tell them apart on my iPod.

What I did was create a custom field called "Name (Base)" that has the 'base' name of the track.  So for example if I have "Layla", "Layla (new version)", and "Layla (Live)" in my library then my "Name (Base)" field for all three is Layla.  I then use the "Name (Base)" field for tasks like duplicate finding.

jgreen

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 06:01:53 pm »

I meant to say King's plugin, "REPLACE Master", which WILL do this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up