INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to sync iPod  (Read 2823 times)

simonmason

• World Citizen
How to sync iPod
« on: January 03, 2007, 10:04:59 pm »

I figured out (after I set it up and tried to do it!) that you can't sync your iPod to a copy of Media Center connected to a remote library.  However, my server is running on a rack-mounted media server in a wiring closet.  Do I have to go down to that machine to plug my iPod in or is there some way I can access it remotely?

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: How to sync iPod
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 09:50:03 am »

What kind of files are you trying to sync? Is there conversion involved?

j

simonmason

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 11:29:42 am »

All the files are stored on the library server in MP3 format.  I wouldn't have thought that they need to be converted.  It says File Not Supported for all files on the remote machine when I try to sync them with my iPod.  There is another post on the board that indicates that this is due to copyright?  Apparently the software only allows syncing with the main server to avoid me sharing my IP with friends and letting them download my music.  If this is true, I think this is a bit of a weak implementation of rights management.  It would be better if it only allows a limited number of remote connections to sync, say 2 or 3.

wglong

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 12:55:45 pm »

I have the exact same issue.  The MC on my main computer that I sync my iPod with has it's own library that was inported via mapped network drives.  The songs can remain the the server; however, you can't use a remote library, it has to be local.

This is a pain because when I add new songs I have to make sure both libraries have inported the files.

This is the only way I know to do this.

simonmason

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 07:24:48 pm »

Is there something that can be done with this?  Maybe Media Center checks the license on the server and the client to make sure they are the same, i.e. the same person?  I can't plug the ipod easily into the server because of it's location (go down to the basement, into the wiring closet, over to the server rack)!

chrisssssl

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 11:55:41 am »

I just came across this also.  I am running 11.1.201.  i have the library server running, and i can stream files to my client.  When i try to add a trac to the playlit that syncs with the ipod, the status reads "file not suported."  the file type is an MP3.  i had originally had my setting to convert from the high VBR MP3 to a 96 kbps file (for space on the Nano).

chrisssssl

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 11:57:36 am »

i dont know if the title can be changed but might get better response if it was something like "how to sync ipod on a library client"  i almost passed this in the search results. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 02:48:20 pm »

You can't sync from a remote library server.  MC doesn't support it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up