INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album art and submitting questions.  (Read 1958 times)

edladner

• World Citizen
  • The diet worked
Album art and submitting questions.
« on: January 03, 2007, 11:06:16 pm »

With the resources available on the internet I was able to find covers for almost every cd.  Only a few of the ones that were bought in binders at local pawn shops eluded me.  I now have several thousand covers to submit for the cause.  I quickly ran into an issue.  Many cds when i ripped them said disc 1, disc 1 of 2, cd 1, cd1 etc....

I decided to make all mine cd1, cd2 etc... on collections.  What would be the good of submitting them if they will not download to other users.  My names are consistent, thus esy to find and rename if I needed to.  What format would best to use?

Then there are the multi-artist collections.  MC handles them great, but how would you submit them?

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Album art and submitting questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 12:16:52 am »

disc 1, disc 2, etc seems to be the norm, not cd 1, cd 2, etc.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 06:29:34 am »

I agree with using the disc 1..., since it not always needs to be a cd (compact disc).
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

Sauzee

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 01:23:41 am »

I use the CD1, CD2 system.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 09:32:56 am »

I have a very strict format I always follow.  First, no artists ever get words like The.  Albums, however, always get them.  Artists need to sort nicely in Windows and the , The is just plain annoying.

I always name albums "Album Name (Disc 1)" and use the built-in fixer in MC to remove double spaces, fix underscores, etc.  I also read every track to make sure it is spelled/is correct(ly).

I also have over 800 CDs which I scanned by hand at 1200x1200 resolution.  That amounts to a few gigabytes.  Should I start submitting all?  Would it benefit others?  I'll start it on my server so it can spend a few days or however long it would take to upload it all.

dcwebman

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 12:38:06 pm »

I also have over 800 CDs which I scanned by hand at 1200x1200 resolution.  That amounts to a few gigabytes.  Should I start submitting all?  Would it benefit others?  I'll start it on my server so it can spend a few days or however long it would take to upload it all.
I may be wrong with how the MC cover art getting from internet now works, but I believe that if you submit a cover art that is larger than the one (notice they only store one) that they currently have, it will take its place.

So in answer to your question, no.  :)  I personally don't want 1200x1200 cover art images and I would just have to edit every one if it downloaded.  Now if they ever implement the ability to store multiple cover art images, which would certainly be beneficial because there could be a wrong one there or there could be multiple cover arts of the same CD, then I would say yes.
Jeff

edladner

• World Citizen
  • The diet worked
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 04:35:53 pm »

A lot of the CDs that I get come without covers.  They are stored in binders that were pawned.  I only scan as a last resort.  There are too many good resources for finding quality cover art.  I reduce everything to 250 x 250 if it is over 300.  I find 250 x 250 to be a good display on my screen at 1280 x 1024.  I've submitted a few so far.  I just wanted some feedback on what was popular for multiple cds. If quite a few people had requested a different format, I would have changed so the majority could benefit.

I was hoping one of the JRiver people would comment on how multi artist compilations should be handled.  I guess there is not enough need for it to be an issue, so I will just bypass those.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 12:05:50 am »

Well, I started scanning everything by hand at 360 dpi which provides well over 1200x1200 of good pixels (cropping borders, etc.) and then I crop it down to a square and resize to 1200x1200.  I started this way and have just continued.  I don't buy CDs unless they come with cover art (unfortunately)!
Pages: [1]   Go Up