INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CD Burning Problem With FLAC  (Read 3688 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
CD Burning Problem With FLAC
« on: January 17, 2007, 09:25:36 am »

I am still unable to burn CDs.  I'm using FLAC with auto-convert to MP3.  I installed ogg codecs which I read could help but now it just sits there when I say burn and says: Preparing for ISO image creation.

Any ideas on fixing this?  It complains about DirectShow filters.

marcusaschneider

Re: CD Burning Problem With FLAC
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 02:21:40 pm »

See my post here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=38290.msg260391#msg260391.

Creating ISO Image will of course be displayed a rather long time - you will not see any progress until the burning starts. The only thing you can do is observe your temp folder, there will be changing temporary MP3 files and additionally observe task manager (I would recommend process explorer from http://www.sysinternals.com) for running lame.exe...

benn600

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 04:18:12 pm »

That's where I found the link to download the ogg stuff (from your thread you posted--which I did read).  So do I need the ogg download?  It seems like we shouldn't--that's what the FLAC plugin is for.

scthom

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 08:30:36 pm »

With my flac plugins, no ogg stuff is required.  MC should transcode it to mp3 first and then burn the CD.  I know the flac plugins burn directly to CD, but I have not tried it with transcoding first.  Did you try transcoding separately and then burning the resultant mp3s?  That may help find out where the problem lies.

marcusaschneider

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 09:22:57 am »

With my flac plugins, no ogg stuff is required.  MC should transcode it to mp3 first and then burn the CD.  I know the flac plugins burn directly to CD, but I have not tried it with transcoding first.  Did you try transcoding separately and then burning the resultant mp3s?  That may help find out where the problem lies.
That's what I thought - I had all the plugins installed but still the system complained about missing DirectShow filters. I installed them and after reboot everything went fine - exept for the missing progress information during transcoding. Transcoding first and then creating CD went with no problem at all...

benn600

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 10:33:41 am »

I never restarted.  Perhaps I need to try a restart.  It does seem strange that the transcoding doesn't just utilize the built in MC transcode option.

So you're saying I do need the ogg download discussed earlier?

marcusaschneider

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 11:03:38 am »

So you're saying I do need the ogg download discussed earlier?
At least I needed them (Windows Vista, maybe a special issue there). And yes - I think it is indeed strange that the transcoding behaviour of MC seems to differ between standard transcoding and transcoding for CD burning...

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 05:22:08 pm »

I tried this with the latest FLAC decoder plugin (on XP). Burning an MP3 data disc worked normally from my test FLAC files. Similarly like burning from APE files. I don't think it used any DirectShow filters.

As mentioned, the long pause before MC shows any progress is odd. It would be nice to have some kind of a progress indicator during the ISO file creation.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

benn600

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 06:35:37 pm »

Now why can't it work for me?  What is different on my computer?  I don't even know what DirectShow filters are, why they are needed, etc.  Is something strange with my computer that creates this problem?  Do you have VLC installed?  Perhaps it's something I've installed that adds complexity or makes this error appear.

I like burning CDs for my car since I don't have a good way to get audio from my Sansa to my car stereo so I miss this ability.  I'm not usually ambitious enough to convert then burn in Nero--burning isn't that important even though that isn't tough!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 06:45:03 pm »

Search here for CCCP.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 06:59:57 pm »

Now why can't it work for me?  What is different on my computer? ...

I don't know the answer.

Does standard MP3 conversion to a folder work? If it works you can always make playlist of the files and convert to a temporary folder. After that you can just drag & drop the files to the burn dialog.

Here is a table that helps in determining how much music you can fit on a CD at various bitrates: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=34237.msg233613#msg233613

In any case, I don't think that DirectShow filters are needed or used with FLAC files if scthom's decoder plugin is installed. FLAC should behave similarly like the internally supported formats.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

benn600

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 07:03:06 pm »

I can easily convert files and do it occasionally.  I would like to help figure out the problem here, though, so it can be fixed.  Can the developers look for the hook which displays that error and then pinpoint the cause as to why it would display?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 07:38:16 pm »

How long did you wait before cancelling?

In my test encoding 47 min of uncompressed music took about 190 s using LAME VBR New on my 2.8 GHz P4 (check the linked thread in my previous post).

For example, encoding 12 h of music would then take about 50 min from wave source files. Encoding from a compressed format like FLAC would take even more time.

MC starts the burning process only after the complete session is encoded.

benn600

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 08:34:11 pm »

It only stopped showing the error with the ogg codec download discussed earlier.  Therefore, I'm guessing I do need this download?

I definitely understand that it can take quite a while.  I would almost be interested in a car CD player that supported FLAC and then I would just burn more CDs--best yet, I would get lossless goodness.

scthom

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 12:44:37 am »

My plugins do not use the ogg capabilities of flac (I've purposefully disabled it), so I don't think it's my plugins that are looking for ogg.  Ogg is perfectly valid for other things, though.

marcusaschneider

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2007, 12:57:34 am »

My plugins do not use the ogg capabilities of flac (I've purposefully disabled it), so I don't think it's my plugins that are looking for ogg.  Ogg is perfectly valid for other things, though.
Nonetheless, may it be your plugins or some other issue, at least with benn600 and me the DirectShow issue is there. I had no chance of burning a MP3 Data CD transcoded from FLAC sources until I installed the DirectShow filters resp. first did regular conversion and build a CD from that then.

The question raised - and that would go out to the folks at JR (I guess scthom is external?) - is: why is the behaviour of the program different to standard transcoding when it comes to burning?

benn600

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 01:33:05 am »

I should add that I see the same or a very similar error about DirectShow filters with MP3 files burnt to a Data MP3 disc.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 03:09:51 am »

I should add that I see the same or a very similar error about DirectShow filters with MP3 files burnt to a Data MP3 disc.

Indeed you should. That info changes the situation because then it is not related to FLAC only. Surely JRiver will need detailed info for debugging this problem. I cannot reproduce the behavior here.

benn600

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2007, 03:28:31 am »

I'm currently heavily involved in setting up FreeNAS and am not desperate to burn CDs but I think I can reproduce the same error of burning CDs from both FLAC & MP3 files on two separate computer configurations.

I also setup a completely separate library.  As part of a test, when I get a chance, I will import my year old MP3 collection of 7K files and then try to burn from that.  Unfortunately, every computer in my home has essentially identical configurations because when I format every year, I install everything at the same time on every computer so it may be some software specific to me--although my software base is not anything out of the ordinary.  I use a lot of free, open-source tools.

I do have a separate computer I could set MC up on.  It is an older computer with an older setup which may help me pinpoint the cause.  I'll do my best to provide scenarios where the error occurs.

lol...I knew the mp3 part was important but I just didn't even remember that test I ran a while back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up