INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 11 on OSX under Parallels (Works)  (Read 1883 times)

jantypas

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Media Center 11 on OSX under Parallels (Works)
« on: January 22, 2007, 03:33:30 pm »

Well, I took the plunge, at least for the laptop.  I'm running a Macbook Pro.

Despite the Steve distortion field, there are things a Mac just doesn't do.  (My desktops are still Windows and Linux thank you.)   One of these things is playing WMA content.

Oh yes, you can use Flip4Mac and Quicktime will play it, VLC can play it, but none works with any grace.   I still misssed MC.

1. Get the latest beta of Parallels.  I haven't tried the latest version from VMWare -- I'll let people know.
2. Load your old copy of 2K or XP.
3. Load your version of MC.
4. Either expose your music from your Mac via Parallels or turn on Windows file sharing on the Mac side to do it.

IT WORKS. 

Granted, this is a 2GB/2.13GHz dual core Macbook Pro.  XP has been given 1GB of RAM under Parallels so XP runs quite happily.  But things that are supposed to work do -- files plays, the library client works  Video has its limits due to the lack of a real video card. 

While I fully understand JRiver's response to Mac and Linux, given their smaller market share, it's a crying shame the ONLY player on the Mac is iTunes.  The closed-in model is what caused me to find MC in the first place.    If JRiver can not justify a new port, would JRiver consider helping the CrossOver folks?  Via CrossOver, you could get Mac and Linux support.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Center 11 on OSX under Parallels (Works)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 04:02:09 pm »

If JRiver can not justify a new port, would JRiver consider helping the CrossOver folks?  Via CrossOver, you could get Mac and Linux support.
Probably.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Media Center 11 on OSX under Parallels (Works)
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 10:33:08 am »

Video has its limits due to the lack of a real video card. 

Supposedly this will be fixed in an upcoming beta of Parallels.  Check here: http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/1/11/6582
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up