INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Control of MC library via UPnP-enabled remote? (NevoSL)  (Read 1930 times)

netarc

• Recent member
Control of MC library via UPnP-enabled remote? (NevoSL)
« on: January 24, 2007, 04:48:00 pm »

I've read that MC can access a media store on a UPnP-enabled device (i.e., it acts as a upnp client); does it also have the ability to act as a UPnP host

I'm hoping to be able to access/control the MC library (including access to playlists, song metadata, possibly even album art) from the NevoSL remote control, which can communicate with a UPnP-enabled media store, and play back content through a UPnP-enabled media player.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Control of MC library via UPnP-enabled remote?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 05:01:57 pm »

I've read that MC can access a media store on a UPnP-enabled device (i.e., it acts as a upnp client); does it also have the ability to act as a UPnP host
It is NOT a client.  It is a server.

I'm hoping to be able to access/control the MC library (including access to playlists, song metadata, possibly even album art) from the NevoSL remote control, which can communicate with a UPnP-enabled media store, and play back content through a UPnP-enabled media player.
Might work.  We tried it a while back and it seemed flakey.  Please try a search here for Nevo.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 05:02:50 pm »

The terminology here is really confusing. MC lets set-top boxes play the music from Media Center's library.

Media Center does NOT play music from another UPnP server (it could not play music being served out by Twonky Vision).

Media Center can NOT be controlled via UPnP's control interface.

http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/UPnP_Server

j

netarc

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 06:29:34 pm »

Thanks, I didn't think to search for Nevo, but did search for upnp; just searched for Nevo and found a number of hits.

So it looks like some folks had success in getting the NevoSL to access the MC repository (MC as server, as you say); but MC cannot function as a UPnP player (renderer, is that the right term?).  Any chance this UPnP rendered support could be submitted as a request for enhancement, perhaps for MC12+? 

As others have noted, the MC/Nevo combination could be _very_ powerful and attractive ... the reason I'm investigating this is that we're a custom installer looking at various options for our client's media management solutions; so far the two top candidates are MC and Windows Media Center.  The second is great for standalone use, and so long as you have a display in all rooms (e.g., for a multizone application). 

MC, on the other hand, has its strength in its flexibility and integration ... for instance, we've successfully used the CAV66 plugin to interface with MC to allow for display of song metadata to Russound CAV keypads, as well as playlist selection.  That's taken us 1/2-way there, but a controller with a rich interface would get us all the closer, and be very attractive to our current (and future) clients.

EDIT: I found that Nevo appears to be in the supported devices list, from the 11.1 changelog notes?
11.1.180 (5/3/2006)

1. Fixed: Portable drives wouldn't properly show playlist files for some playlist saving modes.
2. Fixed: Text could appear too small in some areas.
3. Removed: Unneeded warning messages and option from UPnP Server.
4. Changed: Added Nevo to the list of UPnP Devices.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 06:35:25 pm »

We're interested in helping, but I don't think we'll tackle a big UPnP project soon.  It's a very loose standard so it takes time to support the right devices.

Try using Nevo to see what you get.  What it did do for me (though not reliably) was to allow control from a PocketPC and playback through a UPnP client (AKA Media Receiver) -- a Linksys?  I may have posted my results.

User Lunchmeatvoom had some luck, I think.

Also check out NetRemote from promixis.com and MusicLobby from Cinemaronline.com.

Have you explored the zone controls of MC?  User mastiff is the expert.

Some of this is in the FAQ on the MC12 board here. 

Good luck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up