INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a remote control recommended by developers/users?  (Read 2292 times)

Efjay

• World Citizen
Is there a remote control recommended by developers/users?
« on: January 26, 2007, 11:19:42 am »

Looking for suggestions and curious as to what works. Thanks.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is there a remote control recommended by developers/users?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 12:13:42 pm »

I have a Firefly from SnapStream Media, and it works splendidly.  It's RF and has amazing range (as long as you don't put the receiver doo-dad anywhere near your TV or Monitor), and all of the buttons are programmable (unlike the ATI Remote Wonder which I have 2 of sitting in a closet unused).  I used Girder to set it up to work with MC (among other apps), which is pretty easy to do.

I like it a LOT.  If you want to effectively use it though, you'll probably want to spring for Girder or try to figure out how to set it up via the free (and a lot more difficult to set up) older versions of Girder.

In fact, before too long I'm gonna buy another one for my computer downstairs in my computer shop / exercise room...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

modelmaker

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 05:12:51 pm »

The RF ATI Remote Wonder does perform all the basic playback functions; play/pause/stop/next/vol. just fine for about 35-40$, but for just about anything else it's a pain. It does have 4 programable buttons.

If all you need is the basics and have to have RF, ok, but if you don't need RF, then just use any old IR universal remote and an IR reciever like IRMan.

If you want complete control, then you might want to look at glynor's solution and others like it.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

Efjay

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 09:45:42 pm »

Thanks for the advice. I was looking at Proximis' site and was intrigued by NetRemote. I have a pda I never use and this seemed interesting. Does this type of item allow me to search through my library and choose artist or song or album or etc or would I still need something else for more control?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 01:58:51 pm »

I haven't gotten into the NetRemote stuff myself (yet), but yes.  You can do AMAZING things with NetRemote.  Try searching for NetRemote and the user Mastiff on this forum.  He's posted some screenshots of some of the NetRemote controls he's used here in the past...

EDIT: Actually, the one I was thinking of with the Pics was from jlee.  Here's an example:

http://www.promixis.com/forums/showthread.php?p=106778&posted=1#post106778

Mastiff is a great Girder and Netremote resource though.  He frequents this and the Promixis boards quite regularly.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up