INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: On-the-fly WAV encoding  (Read 1407 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
On-the-fly WAV encoding
« on: February 08, 2007, 04:00:38 pm »

Could an on-the-fly encoder to WAV be added to the UPnP server?  Or can I use a commandline option to do this?  My MP101 music players support WAV (like everything) and I'd like to send it wav since it can't play FLAC...but this way I'd be getting perfect quality.  It seems like a simple commandline option if it was available.

benn600

Re: On-the-fly WAV encoding
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 08:03:29 am »

Can I select MP3 and then use the command line box?  Is there an exe that can be used to generate a wav?  What about tags?  Can MC send the tags separately because WAV doesn't really support tags?

Link

• World Citizen
  • Is that some kind of Eastern thing?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 10:19:09 am »

This is an intriguing idea - I have waited on picking up a player that would work with my receiver, as I want one that supports APE or FLAC..... (I currently use my Tivo which MC converts to 320 MP3).

If players out there support WAV.... And MC could convert and stream reliably....  I would be very happy.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 10:49:07 am »

Our WAV encoder can't stream, it must process the whole file, then return to the beginning to write meta data.

j

benn600

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 09:37:18 pm »

Considering how efficient FLAC decoding is, how long would it take to process the whole file before playing?  Lol.  That would probably be unreasonable but I must say, this WAV thing could be a great work around for lazy device manufacturers who neglect lossless format support.
Pages: [1]   Go Up