INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater View: Browse Disks?  (Read 6367 times)

ThoBar

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Was confishy
Theater View: Browse Disks?
« on: February 18, 2007, 05:37:35 am »

Is it possible (I suspect not at the moment) to browse the file structure directly from Theater View?

Why? I want to watch video recorded from another source, or want to plug in my USB device and be able to access the files on it without importing the media into the library (as in I only want to watch / listen once)

Basically I want to be able to browse to a disk location quickly and easily without having to import temporary media into the library.

This is for a dedicated HTPC setup, so I really dont want to drop back to standard view to use the Drives and Devices area (MCE remote doesnt work there :( )

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Theater View: Browse Disks?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 07:38:55 am »

You can add a program to the menu, if you could do it that way.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 08:38:12 am »

You can add a program to the menu, if you could do it that way.

Ah well, if thats how I have to do it....

Maybe I can make this a Feature Request then. I would think that its relatively trivial to implement, and I know other people who dont use MC that would use it, if it could do this.

It would provide functionality that quite a few other Media Center/Portals etc dont have natively, and provide a bridge between the awesome DB system that MC has and a simplistic "I just want to play *that* file" system.

One of my work collegues was whinging about this stuff about 2 weeks ago, so I know theres 40 bucks for ya :D

rsbrux

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 03:43:00 pm »

Is it possible (I suspect not at the moment) to browse the file structure directly from Theater View?
I haven't yet tried it with video, but the "Blue Too" Theater View skin supports browsing my D: disk by location for audio files.
FSC Scaleo E upgraded w/Intel DH67BLB3 & Core i3 - 2100 3.1 GHz CPU
DigitalDevices DuoFlex CT & Octopus single CI

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 08:03:02 pm »

It would provide functionality that quite a few other Media Center/Portals etc dont have natively, and provide a bridge between the awesome DB system that MC has and a simplistic "I just want to play *that* file" system.

Agreed and I would use this feature for sure. Sometimes I want to just play a video or some temporary media on my local disk which I DO NOT want to import into my MC library. Not being able to browse the filesystem like this in Theater View is sometimes frustrating.

Thanks.

EDIT: Another example would be when I want to view media direct from a memory card or flash mem stick which I do not want to import into my library.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 08:03:14 pm »

I haven't yet tried it with video, but the "Blue Too" Theater View skin supports browsing my D: disk by location for audio files.

I currently have that ability, but it is only for files within the DB. I am requesting the ability to browse files that are not imported into MC.

Cheers,
C.

)p(

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 03:44:00 pm »

+1 for confishy's request. I only found out today that this was not possible yet. We sometimes, like today, attach an external hd with some temporary video files. Because that htpc is in theater view all the time, it would be nice to be able to navigate to the files from within the theater view interface.

peter

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 04:16:36 pm »

I would second this request.

Osho

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 12:29:01 am »

This was one of the very first things I asked for when I joined MC's growing family!

See the question and answers here:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=43527.msg297424#msg297424

I just noticed that confishy asked the same thing 9 months before I did in the current thread.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 12:55:17 am »

This was one of the very first things I asked for when I joined MC's growing family!

I've posted about the FIRST thing I ever asked for about 18 months ago when I joined in.

Of course this is related to unorganized media.  If everyone had everything properly categorized and added to the appropriate folders, this feature wouldn't be needed. But as cluttered as most people's drives are, this is probably a good feature idea.  Maybe another item could be added to theater view home--Browse Drive.  Then, configure would be used to set it up.

)p(

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 01:01:41 am »

Especially with the popularity of external hdd's. I regularly have people visiting who bring one with them for video's and also photo's.

peter

benn600

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 01:13:58 am »

Duh moment!!!  Yes.  Imagine plugging in a flash drive that a friend brings over and immediately browsing its contents.  The HTPCs I have recently built have front USB ports and I've always been confused...there isn't really any use for them because I can't easily get to them through MC.  It never even occured to me that this feature would solve the problem completely.  Great idea!

gbates

• Recent member
  • do the right thing-better than doing things right
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 03:43:53 am »

Having spent most of last night trying to use theatre view I came to the conclusion that the designers of this software have really lost it! They seem to live in a cloud for geeks andforget that us ordinary mortals just want to play their music and videos/photos ! I get lost among all the wretched menues spread all over the place. I have lots of stuff on different disks and its such pig I have given up and will seek something simpler ;D :'( :-X :-[

)p(

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 03:55:48 am »

Having spent most of last night trying to use theatre view I came to the conclusion that the designers of this software have really lost it! They seem to live in a cloud for geeks andforget that us ordinary mortals just want to play their music and videos/photos ! I get lost among all the wretched menues spread all over the place. I have lots of stuff on different disks and its such pig I have given up and will seek something simpler ;D :'( :-X :-[

I don't agree for browsing library content its by far the best interface I have seen. It's very easy to navigate and flexible. And as an added bonus it feels very smooth and looks great. I hope they stick with this concept. There are just a few things I can see to improve it...like to show more info from the tags in the big empty space of the highlighted line that has been asked before. I also would like to change the rating, especially for images, with the overlay menu that pops up at the bottom in play mode.

peter

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 05:08:24 am »

I don't agree for browsing library content its by far the best interface I have seen. It's very easy to navigate and flexible. And as an added bonus it feels very smooth and looks great. I hope they stick with this concept. There are just a few things I can see to improve it...like to show more info from the tags in the big empty space of the highlighted line that has been asked before. I also would like to change the rating, especially for images, with the overlay menu that pops up at the bottom in play mode.

peter
I agree, and i think it's important to note that this feature request is for the few times when you dont have or want media in your library

benn600

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 10:01:10 am »

With the world of portable media, this is an obvious feature request and I wholeheartedly support it.  I mean you could plug your digital camera in and immediately browse it.

Browse Disks really could be configuration free.  Just show the My Computer drives when the item is selected and then the user can choose their camera memory card to immediately start browsing.

Probably need a secondary thumbnail database for these one-time browsed items.

gappie

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2008, 10:20:41 am »

really nice idea. browsing the comp etc, via Theater View. sweet.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2008, 01:03:32 pm »

I just noticed that confishy was a contributor to my previous thread on the subject 2 months ago. It seems like some of us would really like to see this feature and have been asking for it for a while. There must be some technical obstacle preventing JRiver from doing this.

Hmmm, let's try some reverse psychology. Err, yeah, this must be a really tough thing to implement, and I guess we should forget about it because you'd need really good programmers to add this feature.  :D

)p(

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2008, 02:24:42 pm »

Yeah, I bumped this thread because it was the first one I found with the search function. I am a new user, so I did not now that this feature had been requested again more recently.

peter

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2008, 04:01:36 pm »

Yeah, I bumped this thread because it was the first one I found with the search function. I am a new user, so I did not now that this feature had been requested again more recently.

peter

You did the right thing as this post was 9 months earlier than mine. :)

)p(

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2008, 03:44:12 am »

Bump

This is the feature I miss most in mc. I would love to see this added! Any comments from the devs if we will see this anytime soon?

thanks,

peter

rsbrux

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2009, 01:45:00 am »

Bump again.
It can't be that difficult.  Media Portal has it.
FSC Scaleo E upgraded w/Intel DH67BLB3 & Core i3 - 2100 3.1 GHz CPU
DigitalDevices DuoFlex CT & Octopus single CI

)p(

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2009, 02:17:45 am »

+1

Still would love to see this added. Now that I have a Logitech dinovo mini I no longer launch zp from theaterview but switch back to standardview, but it would greatly enhance the experience if we could do it in theaterview. We have to do this at least once a week. So for us it would be a great addition.

peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up