INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photos - Sorting - I Need Help - UNCLE !  (Read 1338 times)

Annie Sixgun

• Recent member
Photos - Sorting - I Need Help - UNCLE !
« on: February 23, 2007, 03:23:57 pm »

OK.. UNCLE!! ::)  I need help...  I decided to try MC to keep track of and display my photos as well as my music.
 I have now spent the better part of a full day trying to figure out what is probably simple.

An example of how I have my photos arranged on my HD for use with current Photo Viewer;
  M:\My Photos\Holidays\Christmas\ 2007
or
  M:\My Photos\Vacations\1993\Portland\Mt St Helens
or
  M:\USGS\SFlorida\Everglades\Flamingo\Shark River\Hydrology\1999\October

My library is very well structured for both my personal and hobby photographs

I would like to be able to get MC to import the files and have them sorted into the program so I can select & view the files using "PANE, DETAIL &  PEOPLE PLACES EVENTS" mode.  The program already will do this in a slightly different manner in the "PANE, DETAIL, & LOCATION" mode. The difference is all my directories show up in "TREE" fashion,  it does allow me to select via directories to get to the photos, but it is very cumbersome getting to photographs this way unless you already are familiar with where the picture is.. 

EXAMPLE.. With my music I have a header with Genre,Artist,Album,etc.  EVERYTHING is under the GENRE heading.. When I select Jazz from the genre column,  under "ARTIST" I now have Jazz music Artists only, then I can fine tune from there to  ALBUM or DATE ETC. A "drill down" scenario I think it is called.

I can create my own headers to augment the initial PEOPLE PLACES & EVENTS to fit my needs, But I can not figure out how to import the files and have them so I am able to as an example ..
 Select EVENT then select Holidays, then Christmas and then the year and have only the picture of that holiday on the screen.

I hope I have been detailed enough so someone will understand what I would like to accomplish and give help. I am in no hurry as my normal program is working well for now.

The reason for the import problem is I have several thousand photographs to import.... some have EXIF data, some don't

Thanks,
Anne

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Photos - Sorting - I Need Help - UNCLE !
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 05:18:16 pm »

Explore the Library Tools (under Tools) and the option to Fill Properties from Filename.

Try a few before you do very many.

You can edit the view scheme to have Panes display whatever you want.  Try right clicking on each column header.
Pages: [1]   Go Up