INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server solution  (Read 5269 times)

StarBand Guy

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I might be a porcupine.
Media Server solution
« on: March 11, 2007, 09:13:18 am »

I'd like to offer a possible solution, or at least another factor to look at, for MC12 Media Server problems on a LAN (windows).

I have to run my internet connections thru a proxy server (satellite). I have a utility in the system tray to turn the proxy on and off, but that's a pain. I was having trouble with the "clients" finding the media server unless I remembered to turn of the proxy. I finally discovered that even though I use F.F., MC12 seems to look to I.E. "exceptions" to the proxy. After entering the IP for the media server the clients fire it right up.

I've been using MC now for a long time - I forget my original version - I think I've upgraded two or three times now. It surely has come a long way. In fact, I just bought a new lappy specifically to run MC as my server. Unfortunately, I finally got rid of my old SlimDevces SliMP3 before MC developed that plug-in. Now I might have to get one of those guys fancy, new units too!

Anyway, if you're having problems finding the server, don't forget to check into any proxy stuff you may be using.

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: Media Server solution
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 10:26:34 am »

Thanks, I've added this helpful info to the wiki:

http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Library_Server#Proxies

j

dbdog

• Recent member
Re: Media Server solution
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 08:23:04 pm »

I'd like to offer a possible solution, or at least another factor to look at, for MC12 Media Server problems on a LAN (windows).

I have to run my internet connections thru a proxy server (satellite). I have a utility in the system tray to turn the proxy on and off, but that's a pain. I was having trouble with the "clients" finding the media server unless I remembered to turn of the proxy. I finally discovered that even though I use F.F., MC12 seems to look to I.E. "exceptions" to the proxy. After entering the IP for the media server the clients fire it right up.

I've been using MC now for a long time - I forget my original version - I think I've upgraded two or three times now. It surely has come a long way. In fact, I just bought a new lappy specifically to run MC as my server. Unfortunately, I finally got rid of my old SlimDevces SliMP3 before MC developed that plug-in. Now I might have to get one of those guys fancy, new units too!

Anyway, if you're having problems finding the server, don't forget to check into any proxy stuff you may be using.

Hmmm...I think you might be talking about a solution  I need to implementbut my technical understanding is a little lacking. Here's my situation: On the home PC I have my library on (the one running "media server") I now connect to the internet using a proxy (Kitty). I like to connect to this library from work and ever since I began using the proxy, I have been unable to connect to the media library from work. My proxy tunnel seems to bypass my router settings where I have previously set up port forwarding.

Are you saying that I need to put an exception into my internet connection settings (I set this in control panel which is the same as setting it in IE I think (it takes me to the same screen)? So should I put my work IP address into the exception list on my home computer (the one running the media server)? I just got a little lost when reading your post since I wasn't sure what you meant by "client".

Many thanks,
dbdog
Pages: [1]   Go Up