INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weird APE/APL Problem  (Read 1020 times)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Weird APE/APL Problem
« on: August 28, 2002, 05:22:37 am »

I've got two APE files (both full albums created with EAC), each with their corresponding APL files.

For some reason, one of them won't import or play in MJ, neither the APL's or the APE itself. I've tried loading the APE into MAC and running Verify or Decompress on it, but nothing seems to happen.

On the other one, MJ refuses to import the APL's, but it will happily import the APE and play it. I'm going to try recreating the APL's for that one and see what happens.

Any ideas? Matt?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:Weird APE/APL Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2002, 05:30:33 am »

Bad news bears

Did the file(s) work at one point, or never work?

And does recreating the APL files help the second one?

Let me know.  We'll get to the bottom of it...

-Matt

(p.s. you're not adding ID3v2 tags to the front of the files in EAC are you?)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2002, 06:08:31 am »

I'm not sure about the ID3v2 tags, actually. I'll have to check my EAC configuration when I get home. I want to say yes, though. Is that bad?

Should I just be ripping to wav with EAC, and then use MAC to create the APE? I've been letting EAC do it for me, but now I'm wondering if that's such a good idea.

I just downloaded MAC 3.97F and let it verify the two files. The APE that won't play at all receives a message of "Error: Invalid Input File", and I just noticed that it's file size is only 192 MB, so I'm assuming this one is pretty well screwed.

As for the second file (the one that would play but the APL's wouldn't import), I recreated the APL's and they still won't import. MAC reported the file as OK, and it plays just fine in MJ.

If I decompress it and then recompress it with MAC 3.97F, will that get rid of the ID3v2 tags if they're there and replace them with the APEtag or whatever it's called?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2002, 06:14:22 am »

Ok, I figured out what was wrong with the second APE's APL files. I had renamed the APE file, but forgot to update the CUE sheet. Everything's cool now. With that one. I'd still like to know what happened to that other one, though. Oh, well. Guess I'll just have to re-rip it.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2002, 06:16:12 am »

I'm not sure about the ID3v2 tags, actually. I'll have to check my EAC configuration when I get home. I want to say yes, though. Is that bad?

The files will play (at least for now), but the tags are unsupported, so it's not a great idea.

Should I just be ripping to wav with EAC, and then use MAC to create the APE? I've been letting EAC do it for me, but now I'm wondering if that's such a good idea.

Both work.  EAC does on-the-fly APE encoding when ripping image files (if you use the DLL version of MAC), so it's probably the way to go. (sigh)

I just downloaded MAC 3.97F and let it verify the two files. The APE that won't play at all receives a message of "Error: Invalid Input File", and I just noticed that it's file size is only 192 MB, so I'm assuming this one is pretty well screwed.

So maybe the file never got finished or something.  Did you maybe cancel the rip?

As for the second file (the one that would play but the APL's wouldn't import), I recreated the APL's and they still won't import. MAC reported the file as OK, and it plays just fine in MJ.

Too weird.  If you send me the APL files (matt @ jriver.com), I'll take a look.

If I decompress it and then recompress it with MAC 3.97F, will that get rid of the ID3v2 tags if they're there and replace them with the APEtag or whatever it's called?

Yes.  It's not urgent though.  You could wait until there's a newer version of MAC and then convert your files overnight.

BTW, did the first file ever work?

Thanks Doof.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2002, 07:16:00 am »

No, I just deleted it. I'm going to re-rip it tonight. I think I'm just going to do the two-step process and let EAC rip to WAV, and then I'll let MAC do it's job.

Either that or I'm going to do some serious re-working of my EAC config.
Pages: [1]   Go Up