INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are there any plans for DVB-S/S2 support?  (Read 6258 times)

thenoob1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Mouse driver wasn't found, right click to continue
Are there any plans for DVB-S/S2 support?
« on: April 04, 2007, 07:43:40 am »

Hi

my question is already in the topic

Have a nice day

tn1
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
-- Albert Einstein

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Are there any plans for DVB-S/S2 support?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 09:01:02 am »

Maybe in version 13.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

thenoob1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Mouse driver wasn't found, right click to continue
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 09:11:57 am »

and when will it come  ;) :D??
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
-- Albert Einstein

Araj

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 04:21:58 am »

Bump. When will it maybe come ?  ;)

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 07:05:53 am »

Sorry, I still do not have an idea yet.

Araj

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 01:49:16 am »

Okay, In gave up waiting for DVB-S support in MC and grabbed DVBViewer to handle TV in my HTPC.

What is really strange is that MC and DVBV "share" the remote that was bundled with my Hauppauge HVR-4000 tuner card. When I say share, I mean the two apps seem to have divided up the buttons between them so that each button runs in one app only.

For example, the play, stop and pause buttons don't do anything in DVBV but work perfectly in MC although I didn't do anything to associate MC with the Hauppauge remote driver commands. On the other hand, if I'm in MC and then press TV on the remote, it happily opens DVBV viewer, where other buttons which don't work in MC, like Menu for example, work fine.

Is it possible that MC has somehow grabbed the necessary remote buttons for itself exclusively and that's why they don't work in DVBV even if MC isn't running ?

It'd be great to swap notes with anyone who's got both MC and DVBV installed. 

Just moved this to a new thread as my post is pretty off track now. It doesn't seem possible to delete this post, only modify it ?

Araj

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 03:23:51 am »

So much for DVB-S in JRMC13 :-(

Glad I didn't hang on.

Sorry, but JRMC13 is a complete letdown. There's nothing in there that warrants a new version number. I suspect a lot of energy has gone into PerformerMC, deals with Amazon and so on. MC always used to give the impression of being an app made by dedicated freaks for freaks and now it just looks like everything's directed to big deals with big names, which are especially irritating if you live outside the US and can't use them even assuming you want to.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 06:47:54 am »

Did you look at the MC13 feature list?  Did you try the Link BarTag changes?  There are 10 or 12 more like those.

Araj

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 09:00:54 am »

Hi Jim.

Perhaps I'm being unfair - because the list of changes - yes, I read it  ;) - looked unappetising I wondered whether I should bother, so I haven't actually tried it.

The link bar is maybe cute if you want to avoid switching to a browser or you want to search comfortably on Amazon or whatever, but I don't. My HTPC has no Internet connection 99% of the time because I refuse to be disturbed by pop-ups and updates. (no, not just from MC). I only connect it occasionally when I consider an update necessary. I do everything else on my workhorse PC and then just beam it over from a USB stick.

Tagging: I'm more than happy with tagging as it is. Essentially, I'm extremely happy with the audio features with just a few reservations in Theater View which I have mentioned elsewhere.

Where I'm not happy at all is with the lack of DVB-S functionality. For anyone who has no cable TV, this is a must for anything calling itself a media centre. Personally, I can't understand paying for cable with thousands of Free-To-Air sat stations out there (okay, most are rubbish, lets says hundreds), but maybe this is not the case in the US.

I'll probably end up upgrading anyway just to see, it's not big bucks, I just wanted to air my disappointment.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 09:07:31 am »

DVB-S may still be added later, depending on how fast I can get my hands on it.

Araj

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 10:45:47 am »

Get your hands on it ?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 03:42:27 pm »

Actually, the project.

Araj

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 02:49:57 am »

So someone is actually sitting on a MC DVB-S project? That sounds a bit more promising.

In the meantime, I upgraded. I figured sometime before JRMC14, there'd for sure be something worth upgrading for.

tizul91

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 01:11:08 am »

So someone is actually sitting on a MC DVB-S project? That sounds a bit more promising.

Any news about this project ?
What's it's status ? Has it begun ?

MrHaugen

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 03:21:03 am »

I hope so. No support for DVB-S or C is really frustrating, at least for Europe, Australia and New Zealand. You're all pretty well covered in North America, Central America and South Korea with you're ATSC support. Please put some focus on DVB-S, and preferrably DVB-C too.

Some countries uses MPEG4 coding as well, so that have to be taken into consideration too I suppose.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Araj

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 05:33:18 am »

It would be nice if we could finally have a Media Centre that works as such in lil 'ol Europe ;-)

Now that would be an upgrade well worth paying for...

gottwavo

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2009, 02:35:38 pm »

If you need a dvb-s card to make it work in mc14 I can send you one which I don't need right now ... I have a spare technisat card.

Araj

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2009, 03:06:27 pm »

If you need a dvb-s card to make it work in mc14 I can send you one

Does MC14 have DVB-S support then? There is no mention of DVB-S support in Matt's "What's New" post

Araj

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 01:56:53 am »

To be frank, I long have the feeling that MC will never have DVB-S support. If you look at the what's new list and compare the list of changes to lack of DVB-S support, they look pretty insignificant, like fine tuning.

DVB-S support is such a glaring ommission compared to the other stuff and the responses here on the forum from JR are so vague and seemingly uninterested that I can't help thinking there's an undisclosed reason why DVB-S support isn't in there.

I'm still faintly hoping that JR will prove me completely wrong though ;-)

Daydream

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 01:58:17 pm »

Maybe times have changed since I was into satellites; for my own curiosity what provider and what content would you hope to tune in to with DVB-S? Correct me if I'm wrong, DVB-S means Dish in US, Sky in UK and Bell in Canada. Does any of them broadcast anything (worth the trouble) unencrypted?

Araj

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2009, 03:50:06 pm »

There are actually other countries than the US, UK and Canada...

There are thousands of free-to-air programmes out there, and of those, there are a couple of hundred good ones, IMHO many better than commercial encoded.

I live in Switzerland and as you mentioned the UK, I receive all the BBC and ITV on free-to-air for example. They worth the trouble?

It's not what I'm hoping to receive, I do receive all these programmes, I just have to use another media centre app to do so. Unfortunately the other app is as useless for music as MC is for DVB-S :-(  

Daydream

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2009, 12:13:04 am »

Thanks for the update. I lived in Europe but left before the transition to HD started and new standards were deployed. I occasionally get caps from friends in UK and France but I lost contact with what devices work and what standards are used. In Switzerland you probably are smack dab in the middle of every possible sat footprint, short of some UK-only ones (1.5m dish? :))

Isn't there any solution to remap the channels to DVB-T? (a shot in the dark but there are some Google hits coming up, even if not very clear)

Araj

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2009, 01:22:09 am »

Isn't there any solution to remap the channels to DVB-T
No idea but as I have another app that does all flavours of DVB very well, it's not worth that much effort

tizul91

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2010, 04:59:24 am »

Any news about DVB-S2 (HD) support ?

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2011, 03:30:38 pm »

I have an idea.

Jim,

With the money from the bumper sales over the past few days - how about sending the team for a couple of weeks to Europe to write the code for DVB-S2 support?! Just pack a satellite dish in their suitcases! I'm sure JohnT is due another trip to Wales......

SBR
Pages: [1]   Go Up