INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto Update  (Read 767 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Auto Update
« on: April 07, 2007, 11:49:21 pm »

Just want to give some new ideas on auto update.  I really think an auto-updater that checked at each MC start would be useful.  However, I'd also like to see if there would be an ability to build in automatic caching of the MC installer, too.  For example, my server is running 24/7 so all our household computers could easily get a cached copy from the server.

What if library server had a checkbox to "Cache Latest Installer"

Then, each MC would have, under the auto-update options, a checkbox that would search for library servers on the network to see if they have the latest MC version.  How amazing would this be--and very little annoying additional options and such.  Plus, then I'll only download the installer once and all my computers will get the same file, which could save some bandwidth.  Plus, without the caching, I would get upset that I had to wait for the download on each computer.

Imagine a dialog that would popup.

A new Media Center version was detected.
Version 12.0.207 is now available.
[ Ignore ] [ Install Cache ] [ Install From Internet ]

Amazing!  Perfection!  Library server should then auto check for new versions more frequently than just as MC is started.  Perhaps once a day.  I would also support a server auto-update checkbox option.  If selected, new versions would automatically download, install, and restart Media Center--would be great if it could check for connected UPnP or Library Server users and then wait until none are connected.

Absolutely incredible update model--especially for server users.  But even non-server users would have an amazing ability to upgrade.  I understand there is an update checker, but it could check more frequently and add the cache to the mix.

THANKS.
Pages: [1]   Go Up