INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center won't download using Audible Plug-In on Windows 2000 Server  (Read 7654 times)

dengle

I have been trying to get Media Center to download Audible files using the Audible plug-in.  When I click the download link on the Audible web page (displaying in the Media Center Audible plug-in), I get an IE prompt about "Open" or "Save" the file.  Nothing happens if I open the file and if I save the file it just saves a little .pl file.  In trying to test this, I installed Media Center on an XP laptop that I have.  When I click on the download link on the Audible web page (displaying in the Media Center Audible plug-in), I get a quick dialog that I don't have time to read.  Then it goes away and the Media Center begins to download the file and displays the file under "Audible Titles" under the "Audible Plug-In" while doing so.  I'm sure the Windows 2000 server is configured wrong... probably file extensions, but I've tried several different approaches and have been unsuccessful so far in getting the Windows 2000 server to behave like the XP laptop.  Can anyone help?

Dale Engle

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Are you using the latest build of MC12?

dengle

Yes.  I just downloaded it last night to be certain.  When I ask it to check for updates it doesn't find any.

Dale

dengle

PS

The about box says it is 12.0.198 in the title bar.

Dale Engle

dengle

One other thing...

I'm confused that I'm getting an IE download prompt from Media Center when I click the download link on the Audible web site in the MC Audible plug-in since my default browser is Firefox.

I have no idea if this is related to the problem or not.  The XP laptop dialog goes by so fast I honestly can't tell if it is an IE or Firefox download dialog.  The XP's default browser is Firefox as well.

Dale

dengle

I ust installed 12.0.207 with the same Audible Plug-In Behavior.

Dale Engle

dengle

Any ideas about what could be wrong with my Audible plug-in on Windows 2000 Server?

dengle

Is this the only vehicle for technical support?  Is my Media Center Audible plug-in working as designed or should it work as it does on my XP laptop?  Please advise.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Is this the only vehicle for technical support? 
Yes.  You're not getting any help because nobody knows.
Is my Media Center Audible plug-in working as designed or should it work as it does on my XP laptop?  Please advise.
Windows 2000 Server is not commonly used for personal use.  It may be the problem.

Does Audible's software work on it?

dengle

Yes.  Audible's software works fine on it.  I actually tried to import the files after downloading, but the book names were odd due to the way Audible downloads the files and assigns the file names.

As far as no one knowing, I presume that you're saying no one even has any ideas and the Audible plug-in works fine for all others.  Windows 2000 Server is Windows after all.  It is probable that whatever works for others will work for it as well, but if no one else has ever had a similar problem then I can understand why no one knows.

Dale Engle

dengle

Ok, I'm hoping that this new piece of information that I've discovered triggers a thought in someone.  I've been comparing the XP laptop (where the audible plug-in works) to the Windows 2000 Server (where the audible plug-in doesn't work).  I managed to capture the dialog on the XP laptop that was going by too fast on the XP laptop to read.  It says that it is downloading the file, aw_dhelper.mc12mime from cdl.audible.com.  When the same thing happens on my Windows 2000 Server it is downloading the file, aw_dhelper.pl from cdl.audible.com.

So, i changed the name of the aw_dhelper.pl file on my Windows 2000 Server to aw_dhelper.mc12mime.  When I opened the file (from the filesystem) and told it to execute with MediaCenter, the download started up merrily, downloaded completely, and I'm now listening to the file on my Windows 2000 Server over MediaCenter.

Does this help anyone help me?  How does audible know to download the file aw_dhelper.mc12mime on my XP laptop?  Is MediaCenter supposed to change the file extension?  Is MediaCenter telling audible that it is the application requesting the download so that audible sends the mc12mime extension?  Is there some configuration on my Windows 2000 Server that is keeping this extension thing from working correctly?  Clearly, the file is the same file since when I changed the extension with no other changes it works on my Windows 2000 Server and initiates a download in MediaCenter.

I hope this helps.  Thanks.

Dale Engle

dengle

Thanks for the outstanding technical support for this product!

Vallynn

Re: Media Center won't download using Audible Plug-In on Windows 2000 Server
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 04:12:35 pm »

Wow! Still no answer to this, and almost 2 years have passed!  I would criticize J River's support, but I'm usually able to find answers in this forum.  This is an anomoly.

Anyway, here I am using MC 13.0.104, and I've run up against the same issue.  I searched the forum for "aw_dhelper.pl" and found this thread.  Dengle seems to have come up with the solution, but perhaps J River can tell us why...

I tried renaming the "aw_dhelper.pl" file to "aw_dhelper.mc12mime" like dengle said, but no joy.  Then I thought, since I'm using MC13 I'll name the file "aw_dhelper.mc13mime" instead.  BINGO!  Works like a charm.

J River, what is going on here and how can we fix it?

P.S.:  I'm using Vista 32-bit

Vallynn

Re: Media Center won't download using Audible Plug-In on Windows 2000 Server
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 04:16:46 pm »

BTW, you have to do this with every download, and then open the renamed file in windows explorer for MC to activate the download.  It works, but it's not ideal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up