INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New podcasts features  (Read 3279 times)

robydago

• Citizen of the Universe
New podcasts features
« on: April 16, 2007, 05:21:15 am »

[EDITED on 2007-07-05 to include new ideas]

the following are some of the features that [we]'d like to see added to podcasts in MC:

1 ) a single view of all downloads in progress with, ideally, a way to prioritize podcast downloads.  Either by adding a priority setting or by letting users re-order the items. And also yhe ability to pause/restart single or all podcast downloads.

2 ) MC warns user if he\she's trying to close it while a download is in progress.

3 ) automatically and/or manually boomark audio podcast files so one can resume listening at the correct place later on

4 ) "Podcast Tag and File Renaming Rules": here it would be great if we could add any number of fields, not only Genre, Artists, etc.. It could be implemented like the "Add new rule" in the "Edit Smartlist" dialog box. JRiver should add an "Add new field" button that would add a new line in the "Podcast Tag and File Renaming Rules" dialog box where one could select any field he\she want to process.

5 ) a way to re-link a file already downloaded (by another program for example) to a podcast feed in MC, so that MC doesn't download it again

6 ) podcast groups objects, containing, guess what?.... podcasts 8)

7 ) an option to remove podcasts once they have been played. ideally it should be possible to set/unset it per single podcast subscription

8 ) Podcasts in a feed should start downloading from oldest to newest (not newest to oldest as they do now). That way if you have been out of town and have a large number of items to download you can start listening to the older shows while the new ones download.  Most podcasts build on previous shows, pulling them down newest first is like buying a TV series one disc at a time starting with the newest - you have to wait till you have them all before you can really use them. Better yet, there should be an option to decide the download order. 

9 ) A command to Import\export feeds from\to OPML files so that one can move feed lists from\to other programs.

10 ) The ability to force a re-scan of all feeds for new posts.

matt-uk

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: New podcasts ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 09:19:11 am »

These are all good ideas.  :)

I'm still really frustrated by missing download info. The request thread that I started back in January to request this feature (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=38101.0)  has been ignored, so far. Quite a few other people have expressed a need for this too!

jkrzok

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 02:52:05 pm »

I'd like to see MC warn me if I'm trying to close it while a download is in progress.

matt-uk

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 01:56:06 pm »

I would also like to be able to automatically and/or manually boomark audio podcast files so I can resume listening at the correct place later on. Many podcasts are quite long, and I often have to listen to them in 2 or 3 sessions.. It's a pain to have to scan through tons of dialogue to find where you left off last time! The ipod does this for podcasts.. but I miss the feature on my laptop.

I think this has been requested  here before.. I'm sure it would be a popular addition.

paulfife

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 05:13:15 pm »

I'm hoping for the download status screen to be added too. It's really annoying having to flip through all my podcasts to make sure everything is done downloading before syncing my hand held. Any chance this is on the to-do list?

dcwebman

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 07:31:15 am »

- a way to re-link a file already downloaded (by another program for example) to a podcast feed in MC, so that MC doesn't download it again

All great ideas but I really would like this one. It's a lot faster to download at work and then just copy the file for home rather than having to download again there.
Jeff

robydago

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 07:48:12 am »

BUMP01
(see first post for what's new)

robydago

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 08:01:30 am »

1) a single view of all downloads in progress

2) MC warns user if he\she's trying to close it while a download is in progress.

3) automatically and/or manually boomark audio podcast files so one can resume listening at the correct place later on

To reuse in other areas of MC, code written for podcasts :

- 1) and 2) could handle all kind of web media downloads, not only podcasts

- 3) (bookmarking) could be added to audio playback in general, regardless of source or format

matt-uk

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 05:14:54 am »

bump.. still really missing these features.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 10:45:03 am »

I too would really like essentially all of these options!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

matt-uk

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 02:58:03 am »

Another idea.. The application really needs some way of backing up and restoring podcast subscriptions that is independent of main library.

robydago

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 06:15:47 am »

matt,
if you want to do that, just backup this file:
[Path2MCLibrary]\podcast.xml

judging by what's inside it, I think it should be enough

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 09:56:27 am »

Another idea.. The application really needs some way of backing up and restoring podcast subscriptions that is independent of main library.

Why?

j

matt-uk

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 10:25:31 am »

Why?

j

My subscriptions got wiped out by a recent crash. I really wanted to just recall my podcasts without messing with the rest of the library. I had to trawl around the net to find the 20 odd RSS links and manually add them and name them exactly as they were before etc.. Would be nice to just have them backed up separately.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 10:46:16 am »

Is this what you're looking for?

C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\J River\Media Center 12\Library

Application Data may be a hidden directory.

matt-uk

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 11:08:41 am »

Is this what you're looking for?

C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\J River\Media Center 12\Library

Application Data may be a hidden directory.

OK. Thanks. I'll keep a separate copy of this file as a backup.

robydago

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 02:22:57 pm »

Matt,
"Library" is a directory; inside that dir you'll find the podcast.xml file.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 10:25:54 pm »

My subscriptions got wiped out by a recent crash. I really wanted to just recall my podcasts without messing with the rest of the library. I had to trawl around the net to find the 20 odd RSS links and manually add them and name them exactly as they were before etc.. Would be nice to just have them backed up separately.

Did you lose your library too during the crash? I don't mean the actual content files (mp3s or ape or whatever), I mean the files in the library directory Jim mentioned above. If so, why wouldn't you want to restore that as well as the podcasts?

j

matt-uk

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2007, 05:45:44 am »

Matt,
"Library" is a directory; inside that dir you'll find the podcast.xml file.

Thanks. I realise that. I believe Jim was trying to point out where the file was.

Did you lose your library too during the crash? I don't mean the actual content files (mp3s or ape or whatever), I mean the files in the library directory Jim mentioned above. If so, why wouldn't you want to restore that as well as the podcasts?

j

I believe most things were sort of intact except for the podcasts... but I can't exactly remember. I have subsequently started over after having some weird stuff happen with dupes etc... I backed up my podcast.xml file and made a new library.

All is mostly fine now... with the exception of the problem with multiple downloads occurring of the same podcast that few people are having in the other thread.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2007, 10:55:59 am »

All great suggestions (many have been repeatedly asked for).

Here are another couple that are common features of dedicated podcast software: 
The ability to pause/restart all podcast downloads.
The ability to force a re-scan of all feeds for new posts.

robydago

Re: New podcasts features
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2007, 07:10:39 am »

BUMP02

see this post for what's new:
[EDITED on 2007-07-05 to include new ideas]
Pages: [1]   Go Up