INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD Playback Error  (Read 2572 times)

brianbh

• Recent member
DVD Playback Error
« on: April 29, 2007, 01:47:00 am »

Hi,

I was using Media Center 12 in demo mode without any problems and I loved the product.  Then I had to install a new hard drive and re-install Windows XP.  So I installed Media Center again and this time purchased the key.  However, now none of my DVDs will play.  I get the following error message:

“An error occurred preparing to play DVD video. (error number: 200)
Possibly this is because there isn’t a suitable decoder on your system.
Please verify that the software which came with your DVD drive is installed correctly.
You can also try changing the renderer, video decoder, and audio decoder in DVD options.”

When I try changing Video Decoder and Video Renderer settings, this does not help and I get the same error message.

The DVDs will play without any problem in Windows Media Player, Nero Showtime and RealPlayer. 

I have 2 DVD drives on my system:
LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A 1H
PHILIPS DDRW DVD8631

I am getting the error message trying to play from both drvies, and neither drive came with any software from the manufacturers.

Please let me know what to do to solve this problem.

Thanks,
Brian

pldurkin

• Recent member
Re: DVD Playback Error
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 01:59:06 am »

download and install the cccp - combined community codec pack from http://www.cccp-project.net/
this is recommended by most people here and i have had no problems with dvd playback since install.
I did have problems when i had k-lite codec pack installed (full)
this should solve it for you
good luck

brianbh

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 04:09:56 am »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I just want to check before I download and install- is this file from a trustable source- no spyware/adware/trojans involved?  I got burned by a virus once, so I tend to be picky about what I put on my system.

Thanks,
Brian

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 04:36:45 am »

I've downloaded from the link posted and everything appears fine with that site.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 07:22:40 am »

Installing the software that came with your DVD drive should also work.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 08:12:26 am »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I just want to check before I download and install- is this file from a trustable source- no spyware/adware/trojans involved?  I got burned by a virus once, so I tend to be picky about what I put on my system.

Thanks,
Brian

CCCP's fine, many people are using it around here.

kevind

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 06:32:06 pm »

I've had this happen twice to me on MC12. It seems to do it when I check if there is an upgrad.

brianbh

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 09:22:02 pm »

Hi,

I wanted to thank everyone for their replies to this post.

I downloaded and installed the Combined Community Codec Pack, and I can now get the DVDs to play, however I am now having a problem with the fast forward mode (5x, 20x, 100x).  5x works fine, but on 20x and 100x, there is no moving video showing- just stuck on a freeze frame until I tell it to play normal speed again. 

When I was using MC on my previous hard drive, it was not doing this- I could actually see the advancing video as it was scanning forward (this allowed me to know when I wanted to stop and play normally again).

Any ideas why this could be occurring or any setting I need to change to fix this?

Thanks,
Brian

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 09:26:24 am »

Try using different combination of video decoder and video renderer. Tools -> Options -> Playback -> DVD playback settings...

Some decoders have trouble handling this. I am not sure it this is a problem with MPV decoder that is part of CCCP. You can try reinstalling the DVD software that came with your computer/DVD Drives.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 09:35:54 am »

It does seem to be a limitation of MPV decoder.

brianbh

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 11:58:47 pm »

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

Unfortunately, the only setting I can get to work is the MPV decoder (all the others listed give me error messages).

My DVD Drive is a LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A and it did not come with any software or drivers.

I don’t understand why my previous install of MC was not giving me this problem.  One difference is that my old hard drive had Nero 7, whereas I put the newer Nero 7 Enhanced on this hard drive.  Is it possible Ahead left some standard codec out of the newer Enhanced version?

I was also wondering if a remove/re-install of MC might help.  I have also noticed that I am getting occasional distortion when playing MP3 files that I did not get on my previous install.

Another question is if I bought a codec package like NVIDIA PureVideo, would that give me better quality & features playing DVDs in MC (vs. the free stuff I downloaded and installed)?

Any input on this or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 09:00:55 am »

Nero 7 does have various problems working with MC, but it does have decoders that should work. There is one bug in MC that we discovered yesterday which may also be that cause.

Try this:

Tools -> Options -> Playback -> DVD playback settings...

Click "Select Output Device (Audio Renderer)" button. Choose an audio renderer and click OK.

Now you should be able to select your other video decoders (Nero maybe).

brianbh

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2007, 06:02:40 pm »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I tried changing the Audio Renderer, as you suggested.  It was defaulted to “automatic” and I tried changing it to a few different settings and then choosing Nero as my video decoder, but every time I chose Nero, I would get the MC error message 200.  The only video decoder setting that MC does not give me the error message with is MPV and MPV will not show video with fast forwards over 5x.

I also downloaded and installed the 30-day free trial of NVIDIA PureVideo decoder, but as soon as I selected NVIDIA PureVideo for my video decoder in MC, MC immediately gave me the error message 200.

At this point, I’m not sure what else to try except for a re-install of MC and maybe a downgrade back to Nero 7 (vs 7 Enhanced) to see if that would make a difference.

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 06:33:59 pm »

Are you sure you changed "Audio Renderer" instead of "Audio Decoder"?

The Audio Renderer selection is not directly on the DVD Configuration window. It is on the "DirectShow Playback Settings" window, but you can access it by clicking "Select Audio Output Device (Audio Renderer)" button on the DVD Configuration window (and of course you can also go directly to "DirectShow Playback Settings" window without opening "DVD Configuration"). Hm... , it is confusing isn't it?

Your typical choice for audio renderer would be either "Default DirectSound Device" or "Default WaveOut Device".

brianbh

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 07:58:36 pm »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I’m sure that it was the “Audio Renderer” I chose, because I even went back and tried it again.

No matter what Audio Output Device I select, the only video decoder selection that will not give me the playback 200 error is the MVP decoder.  All of the Nero selections, and every other decoder selection result in this error.

Please let me know if there are any other suggestions for things to try.

Thanks,
Brian

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2007, 08:21:47 am »

How about Video Render selection? Try Automatic, Legacy, VMR9, and VMR7.

Reinstall Nero 7 Enhanced if you still have problem. You may really need to go back to Nero 7 (without the enhancement). Nero has given us enough trouble lately!

brianbh

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2007, 01:42:18 am »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and further suggestions.

My Video Render was currently on Automatic, but I tried selecting Legacy, VMR9, and VMR7, but none of them would allow me to see video when fast forwarding more than 5x.

I also emailed Nero tech support and they suggested a Nero re-install, as well.

I suppose this is what I will have to try.

I’ll keep you all posted.

Best Wishes,
Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up