INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm sorry but why not stars?  (Read 1495 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
I'm sorry but why not stars?
« on: May 09, 2007, 12:32:35 am »

It would be great if arbitrary fields could be set to display from stars.  Here's the idea:  under the custom library field dialog (or non-custom), there could be a simple drop-down or checkbox for rating.

The reason I say drop-down is because I would like even more a second option.  One that would, if using integers with values, could have almost like a bar graph in a field.  Take a field about 1/2 the size of the rating field width and then add either a vertical or horizontal fill-up based on the value divided by the largest value.

More complicated would be handy here:  Take another box, perhaps 1/3 the size or less of rating.  If the value was 1-2, it would be empty.  For 3, it would be a small circle.  For 4 or 5, a much larger circle.  For an easy way to specify this, you could use under the values box 1=>0; 2=>0; 3=>1; 4=>2; 5=>2.  That would be a reasonable way to essentially re-write the categories value to a more simplified value that could be displayed, either via 2 stars (0,1,2).  This would help keep the new field small (width-wise).

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: I'm sorry but why not stars?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 04:39:37 am »

I guess you have not seen this thread from last October:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36753.0

The system I suggested would use mostly the existing MC code, only a new display option would be needed for optionally displaying the predefined field values as "stars" in a details view.

My suggestion would be useful for creating personal ratings or for example as an easy interface for an "on/off" boolean field that has only one predefined value (which was OP's request in that thread).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 06:42:21 am »

The reason I say drop-down is because I would like even more a second option.  One that would, if using integers with values, could have almost like a bar graph in a field.  Take a field about 1/2 the size of the rating field width and then add either a vertical or horizontal fill-up based on the value divided by the largest value.
Some time back I had asked for even more flexible field attribute than this, think of a simple mapping table where you get to associate any value with any jpeg/png you want.

..and have the images display instead of text.

At a glance, isn't it make much faster to pick out stuff, than having to read it.

Currently all you got is small cover art icon which i never use for this purpose.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 11:13:41 am »

But aren't those pictures just Photoshoped?  Is there actually a way to get that?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 11:28:20 am »

But aren't those pictures just Photoshoped?  Is there actually a way to get that?

Not yet :)

It is a feature request and the screenshots are mockups. You could bump that thread by adding your comments.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 11:57:38 am »

The idea is there would be 2 types

- one for display with a dropdown, here you associate pictures and values.

- user interactive, livk the ratings field, no dropdown, you click to change it. This type could be extended, atm ratings is the only type there is.

MrHaugen

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 06:53:47 am »

Yes, it's been said before, but it would be an importan upgrade. So It can't be said enough.
Currently I have Track Rating, Album Rating and Artist rating. All of wich I use numbers from 1-6 (The normal 5 star rating just don't do it for me). We need to increase the granularity. Half star ratings would be great, but that's another discussion.

The ability to add pictures to represent different integer values would be a dream come true.
I also love the idea (in the previous thread) to be able to add a checkbox for boolean values. Today I have a field called Replace and Live (to incicate if the songs have errors and are preformed live or not). Every time I have to select yes or no from a drop down list.
It takes unnesessary long time...
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 08:51:48 am »

The ability to add pictures to represent different integer values would be a dream come true.
Any ideas to share here ?

Thinking visually, say a fuel guage pic with a figure in it to show album ratings, so roughly something like

[|||||  8.5 |||||||]

thats just ascii, but ithe "|||" or background colour could change for different numbers.

Would be much more visible/readable that being able to change text font colours.

Icons or pictures that would convey status could work here too.

MrHaugen

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 09:25:15 am »

I was just thinking of one custom image that was displayed as many times as the value said. Like it does with the normal stars today.
Your idea would be even better though. The ability to add different graphics to different values, from both left to right (like it normally does), but also right to left. How sweet it would be.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up