INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kind of sorting Randomly  (Read 1308 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Kind of sorting Randomly
« on: May 09, 2007, 01:05:22 am »

I am not sure how or if possible to sort by standard sorting (Album, Track #) but then take those albums/track #'s and sort them randomly.  My problem is that every time I open Audio, I see the same 3 albums.  It gets annoying.  This would be a great way to spice up each MC use (lol).

gummbah

• World Citizen
Re: Kind of sorting Randomly
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 12:33:39 am »

I have made a smartlist that does more or less what you want I generates five random albums, but of course you make make this number as large as you like.

In rules, select "mediatype is audio"
In modify restuls, select "limit number to 5" and then "expand to full albums"

benn600

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 02:42:46 pm »

I don't know if that will accomplish what I want.  Basically, parenthesis seem to be required...I want the albums sorted according to track number (and kept together) but then those albums (an album would be treated as one item) would then be sorted.

Any other ideas?  This has to be possible!  If the order mattered, it would work: almost like a Sort by Track number and THEN random but the random takes anything and just power blasts it to randomly sort the tracks.  So, random with anything else is basically worthless.

Maybe this is somewhat of a bug that could be fixed?

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 11:34:16 pm »

If you create a view scheme with the following in the "Step 4: Pick files to show..." field, I think you get what you're looking for as long as you're looking at a pane details view.  Album art and non-pane views seem to have a mind of their own though...

[Track #]==1 ~sort=[Random] ~a

Same thing occurs when making a smartlist with this rule.  Works for Details, and Thumbnails view, but not Album thumbnails.

-John

benn600

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 03:11:54 pm »

Great work!  But I may have either discovered a bug or something I can't figure out (lol).  If I use the following in STEP 4: ~sort=[Random] ~a [File Type]=[flac], it doesn't work.  BUT, if I add: ~sort=[Random] ~a TO the search field, albums are kept together but sorted randomly.  HOWEVER, if I add the above query to the search (which only adds the file type descriptor), then it doesn't work!

That doesn't make sense at all--that adding file type makes the entire request not work.

Worse yet, if I remove file type from the STEP 4 area under the view scheme, it still doesn't work, and then I end up with images and video (obviously).

VERY confusing...but your idea basically works, kind of.  If someone at J River can explain this issue, then your suggestion will be the key!

benn600

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 11:53:25 pm »

Bump...is this a bug?  It seems perfectly legal for this to work but it doesn't.
Pages: [1]   Go Up