INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What does "Update for external changes" mean?  (Read 1654 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
What does "Update for external changes" mean?
« on: May 09, 2007, 04:12:17 am »

I've searched the boards and the wiki, but couldnt find any explanation that really clarified it for me.

Thanks.

mlefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: What does "Update for external changes" mean?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 05:23:52 am »

I believe it means that MC will use the metadata found in the tags of files that would have been changed by another program such as iTunes or other.

M.

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 06:52:46 am »

It means that if you move files around outside MC12 (and perhaps even rename them), if MC12 already has a library entry for those files, it will take note of the new location rather than deleting and re-adding them.

This is important, because if you have manually generated playlists, these will not be disrupted even if you move files around. I have also used this successfully when moving my music collection to a new drive. I moved all the files, pointed MC12 at the new volume, and it just updated the file paths. All playlists and smartlists continued to work fine.

The function to update the library from tags is... Tools/Library Tools/Update Library (from tags)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 08:51:54 am »

It means that if you move files around outside MC12 (and perhaps even rename them), if MC12 already has a library entry for those files, it will take note of the new location rather than deleting and re-adding them. ...

Actually, the other option, "Fix broken links" is needed for this (you may have not noticed the difference if you have not specifically tested these options separately and together).

The "Update for external changes" option does what the name implies. If the files are changed MC automatically rereads the file info and updates the database. Obviously it monitors the file modification time. (Otherwise it would need to read all tags and the format info and compare each value with the corresponding database value. This would probably be as slow as complete reimport.)

These two options are not restricted to the specified import folders. They try to maintain the complete library whenever the Auto-Importer runs in the background or when it is started manually. However, if the files are moved MC can automatically find them only if the new location is inside the defined import folders.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 10:33:51 am »

Ah, got it. That's clever!
Pages: [1]   Go Up