INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: File Association Help  (Read 827 times)

jolo

• World Citizen
File Association Help
« on: May 18, 2007, 02:07:08 am »

I searched and found many queries regarding File Associations, but I still don't get it. Please be patient.

• I would like Media Center to be my default for opening and playing certain file types, like MP3 and OGG. That's easy. When I associate Media Center 12 with a file type, I get Media Center File as the filetype, when in Windows Explorer. I don't want all Media Center associated files to say the same thing as their FileType.
  • I would prefer change the file types so that I can use my own name, as well as my own Icon. For example, I have a good library of .ico files and I would like Media Center to be the application associated with MP3 files, but I would like to use my own icon and give MP3 files a filetype name of something like "MP3 Audio File".
  • When things really get bizarre and I start going into Control Panel, File Options, File Types and make manual changes, I sometimes get some bizarre behaviors. For example, I might change the icon and File Type name, I sometimes see that my MP3 files are also changed to the same icon and File Description name.
    I sometimes wind up deleting the File type and re-creating it to fix things. They don't last long.

Any advice on how I can better manage my File Association list would be greatly appreciated.  The help that I need is more about making the icon and File Association Description Independent of the Media Center (or other applications).
I sometimes can have a file folder that might have .APE, .MP3, .OGG and even .WAV files, for the same songs.
.Ogg is my format of choice for playing audio files on my fantastic Cowan U2 portable media player and my PC. I also like to archive my backup audio files to .APE, sometimes I will need to have .MP3 files to load on someone else's less flexible portable media player (like the Ipod, etc) who do not support any open source audio types. I also might have some .WAV files installed temporarily.

Thanks for you help.

Jon T.

Pages: [1]   Go Up