INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help request, Media Library unable to play any of the files - MC 12.0.233  (Read 2644 times)

mbdundee

• Recent member

I have searched the forums and read the FAQ's and would like some help with the Library server. I apologize in advance if I missed the answer somewhere.
Library Server has never been running on my home network before, first time setup (long time J.R. user). I have 2 Windows XP SP-2 p.c's on my private 192 network. One is the primary server with the Media Center library on it (just upgraded from 11 to 12.0.233 on both p.c.'s). I have the primary server pc running the UPnP and Tivo server without issue (Tivo-dlink and mp101). I have started up the Media Library on the server pc and on the client server I run Search for Library Servers, it locates the IP address of the server and loads the library. All views of the database are there (all mp3 music at this time) I see all the mp3 files but when I select any of them to play I get the message "Media Center was unable to play any of the files. Please make sure that the path in Media Library points to the right location and that files are not being filtered by Access control"
I have verified no Access Control has been turned on. I am not in Party Mode. I have shut down internet and turned off all firewalls and virus scans and tried that,  I have assigned port 82 exclusively and assigned it as an inbound/outbound at the router.
I can run a shared file system of the music from server and point the Client to that and build a separate database but would prefer to only have one on the primary server.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut

Sorry - this is a known problem that came up in 12.0.229 or so, it'll be fixed very soon.

j

mbdundee

• Recent member

Thank you for the quick response. I will keep tracking the fix list.
Much appreciated.

DV8

• Junior Woodchuck
  • My Karma ran over my Dogma
Re: Help request, Media Library unable to play any of the files - MC 12.0.329
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 12:50:56 am »

I am using networked disks for my MC12 player and I am getting the same message on every file:
"Media Center was unable to play any of the files."
There is a little red 'x' icon in front of the entire collection. All files are housed on separate system that has networked drives linking to them from the MC 12 computer.

This is a relatively recent install and was working fine.
I tried erasing and re-importing the whole library.
It finds all the music and MC12 says it has them in the library but when I go to play them I get the above message.
I am using MC 12.0.329

Did this problem get solved?
IF so, how?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Help request, Media Library unable to play any of the files - MC 12.0.233
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 06:42:03 am »

Please try the latest build from the top of this board.

DV8

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Help request, Media Library unable to play any of the files - MC 12.0.388
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 12:23:18 pm »

OK, I have now tried the latest build 12.0.388 but still no love. Windows sees the shares and can access the files. MC 12 sees the shares and successfully iimports them into the library. Library shows the song files with correct location identified on network share.

But MC 12 puts a little red 'x' in front of every song and won't play it.
Error message says........
"Media Center was unable to play any of the files.
Please make sure that the path in Media Library points to the right location and that the files are not being filtered by Access Control"

I have checked the library and the paths are correct.
I have checked Access Control and it is not enabled at all.
I have rebooted.
I have reinstalled latest version of MC.
I have cleared library and re-imported the files.
This was all working a couple of weeks ago and I didn't change anything.
It just stopped one day.

What's wrong?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 12:29:40 pm »

For one of the files with the Red X, please provide the complete path and filename as MC shows it.

What size does the same file show in MC?

What happens if you right click on it and choose Locate / On disk (external)?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 12:29:55 pm »

Could your other computer on the network be in hibernation or standby mode?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

DV8

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 01:06:08 pm »

For one of the files with the Red X, please provide the complete path and filename as MC shows it.

What size does the same file show in MC?

What happens if you right click on it and choose Locate / On disk (external)?

To Yaobing......your response is below also.

Example file path:
F:\P\Pete Yorn\Pete Yorn - 2001 - Musicforthemorningafter\01 - Life on a Chain.mp3
MC12 reports it as 6.9MB file size which is correct.
If I right click on it and choose Locate / On disk (external) it reports the "The file 'F:\P\.....Life on a Chain.mp3' does not exist."
I get the same answer if I right click and choose (internal) also.

I made sure the server wasn't hibernating by playing the song locally and then closing it and immediately asking MC12 to play it.
Same dead end response.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 01:11:39 pm »

Try importing & playing a file on the root of your network drive. Looks like a path length issue to me (IE. In the path & filename there are too many characters overall), although IIRC this shouldn't apply unless you're using Quicktime.

-Leezer-

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 01:20:33 pm »

It sounds like the way the network share is set is not working.  I don't know how to help with that.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 01:39:41 pm »

F:\P\Pete Yorn\Pete Yorn - 2001 - Musicforthemorningafter\01 - Life on a Chain.mp3

This looks like a perfectly normal file path to me.

the file 'F:\P\.....Life on a Chain.mp3' does not exist.

The error message means that MC can't find the file at all. I get the same message if I physically delete a file outside MC.

Is the network drive still mapped with the drive letter F: ?

Can you browse to that folder with MC's internal browser? (Tree > Drives & Devices > My computer > F: > P > ...etc)

Could you try to browse to that folder with Windows Explorer (on the client PC), create a duplicate of one of the files (right-click>copy/paste) and after that try to import the new file to MC?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

DV8

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 01:44:58 pm »

Update.....
I got music to play by going to the 'Drives and Devices' section of MC 12 and opening 'My Computer' and navigating to one of the network share drives and opening the exact Pete Yorn song I detailed above. Right clicked play and MC 12 played the song. MC 12 sees the music and can play it but only if I directly play it from the Drives and Devices section not through the 'Artist/Album'

Don't forget, this was working 2 weeks ago and simply stopped for some reason. I have been using MC for many years now and didn't touch anything (at least AFAIK). I didn't upgrade until I had this problem.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 01:51:52 pm »

Did you browse to drive F: as I asked?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

DV8

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 02:21:20 pm »

Did you browse to drive F: as I asked?

That is what I did in my previous post.
All the music is there when I browse to My Computer using the internal 'Drives and Devices' feature within MC 12.
I have several networked drives, including the F: drive. They are all there and will play when selected via the Drives and Devices within MC12 but not via the standard 'Artists/Albums' section.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 02:42:00 pm »

I asked specifically about the F: drive letter because it is posible to access a network share directly using the "My Network Places" part of the browser.

It is rather odd that the same file can be accessed through Drives and Devices, but not from a library view.

Did you try the other steps I asked?

As a test, you could also try to create a new library with Library Manager and try importing a few files and playing them.

DV8

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 04:14:01 pm »

Bizarre behavior here.

Everything now works?!?! (sort of)
Sometime after I accessed all 5 network drives where I house my music via the Drives and Devices, they started working in the library proper. Some icons changed to the playable little note icon, others changed to micro-album covers (normal behavior) and they now play from library. Even more strangely other songs still had that little red 'x' next to them but they also played properly. Everything now works except some of the songs (maybe 25%) have the little red x next to them but more importantly, they play anyway.

Not sure what happend, why this (sort of) fixed itself or if it happens again.
I am pretty sure this isn't because I 'woke up' the drives since I had tested that earlier without success.

'Strange days indeed. Most peculiar momma"
Pages: [1]   Go Up