INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hugo Chavez shuts down RCTV in Venezuela  (Read 3935 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Hugo Chavez shuts down RCTV in Venezuela
« on: May 27, 2007, 08:27:26 pm »

A station which is considered "opposition" was shut down today in Venezuela.  I'm trying to think how we could add their programming to MC.

If you'd like to sign a petion, please visit them:

[img width= height= alt=Free RCTV: Say No to Censorship!]http://www.freerctv.com/images/logo_en.gif[/img]

datdude

• MC Beta Team
Re: Hugo Chavez shuts down RCTV in Venezuela
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 08:30:20 pm »

I don't the the link is getting processed right.  Try this: http://www.freerctv.com/petition.php
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 09:47:35 pm »

I don't the the link is getting processed right.  Try this: http://www.freerctv.com/petition.php
Fixed.  Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 08:02:15 am »

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 08:34:24 am »

It's important to always oppose control and censorship.
BTW- here's my plug for running a TOR server node if you have a bit of spare bandwidth. You'd be surprised how many people in, shall we say, information challenged countries depend upon the availability of TOR to get varied information.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 08:59:14 am »

I had to look it up.

Tor (The Onion Router) is a free software implementation of second-generation onion routing — a system enabling its users to communicate anonymously on the Internet. Originally sponsored by the US Naval Research Laboratory, Tor became an Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) project in late 2004. The EFF supported Tor financially until November 2005[1], and continues to provide web hosting for the project.

From Wikipedia

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 10:31:02 am »

Oops! Sorry for the lack of info.
Here is their link, also check out the 'Volunteer' link while you're there.
It explains how and why to allow use of some portion of your bandwidth.
Also explains how you can control where folks can go from your machine if you worry about such things.
http://tinyurl.com/d5hn7

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 02:32:34 pm »

It's also important to get the whole story!

That station was broadcasting sedition leading up to the short lived coup as well as putting the coup leaders on air to justify their coup which dissolved the legislature and the supreme court.

If that happened in the US they would have been immediately out of business. FCC regulations specifically prohibit broadcasting sedition (supporting the overthrow of the legitimate elected government).

You should also note that nearly all of the stations in Venezuela are privately owned by the tiny elite of mostly European heritage (par for the course in Central and South America) who have the most to lose in a more egalitarian society (which is why they broadcast sedition).

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 02:58:40 pm »

That station was broadcasting sedition leading up to the short lived coup as well as putting the coup leaders on air to justify their coup which dissolved the legislature and the supreme court.

If that happened in the US they would have been immediately out of business. FCC regulations specifically prohibit broadcasting sedition (supporting the overthrow of the legitimate elected government).
the nytimes article did mention that, and you voiced my thoughts perfectly.

I would imagine there would be quite a few other freer countries where incitement to riot  ie public disorder would not be tolerated.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 06:58:11 pm »

Did The US Government Put Hugo Chavez In Office Like We Did Saddam?

Is The US Government Secretly Funding Both Sides Of This Issue (Hugo Chavez In Office) And The Opposing Faction?

Did The Special Forces Secretly Train His Army At Fort Bragg in The 1980's?

What Did We Get For Our Arms?
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

fdgsdfg

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 09:14:34 pm »

Did The US Government Put Hugo Chavez In Office Like We Did Saddam?

Is The US Government Secretly Funding Both Sides Of This Issue (Hugo Chavez In Office) And The Opposing Faction?

Did The Special Forces Secretly Train His Army At Fort Bragg in The 1980's?

What Did We Get For Our Arms?

Interesting Sparta.  I didn't realize you knew so much about Latin American politics and US foreign policy.  Does your post reflect the jriver position with regard to this matter, or is it a bit of extrajurisdictional commentary?  To me, it's important to understand if a company has endorsed a specific policy position offered by a person holding himself out as speaking for that company.

I'm also curious b/c I work for the US government, and am generally reluctant to offer sweeping and conclusiory policy analysis (especially on matters that I don't know wtf I'm talking about).  I find adherence to this general rule especially appropriate on boards related to IT technical support.

-a customer

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 04:58:58 am »

I didn't realize you knew so much about Latin American politics and US foreign policy.

It Is Interesting You Make That Assumption About Me When You Also Don't Know Me, And I Don't Work For JRiver So Again.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 06:32:33 am »

Interesting Sparta.  I didn't realize you knew so much about Latin American politics and US foreign policy.  Does your post reflect the jriver position with regard to this matter, or is it a bit of extrajurisdictional commentary?  To me, it's important to understand if a company has endorsed a specific policy position offered by a person holding himself out as speaking for that company.

I'm also curious b/c I work for the US government, and am generally reluctant to offer sweeping and conclusiory policy analysis (especially on matters that I don't know wtf I'm talking about).  I find adherence to this general rule especially appropriate on boards related to IT technical support.

-a customer

An interesting post, in this topic anyway. 

Am I the only one who finds it just a bit ironic that in a thread essentially about the limiting of a voice or voices (I'm not arguing the sedition issue), some person, claiming to be from the US Govt is passively threatening both JRiver and Sparta and explicitly warning Sparta to "obey the rules".

Certainly Sparta is entitled to his opinion and whether or not you agree with it, how is it your position to silence him?

LaneNem, are you one of these "internet police" that is out there monitoring all of the boards, making sure all of the "rules" are being followed?  You see, to me, it's important to understand if a person has endorsed a specific policy position, because then I know how seriously to take their posts.
openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s

DaremoS

• World Citizen
  • Rock is not just music... is a way of living
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 09:27:53 am »

What would you think if USA were paying a radio for do campaigns against your national government?
I am a citizen of Chile where USA did a strong campaign during the early 70s against the legal government elected by Chileans for Chileans, as it was Allende's government. Paying all media available in that time for take off Allende.
All the world knows what was the result of that USA intervention in my country.
Venezuelans have been suffering the most aggressive campaign against their legal government from USA.
RCTV was not renewed when its permission to broadcast ended.
Every media have to respect legal laws in order to be renewed. To be receiving external money for their activities maybe is not a legal action. Maybe in this case, RCTV was not broadcasting Venezuelan people voice, but USA voice, which is intervention.
People have to know the whole history before full their mouth with free speech or whatever alike, sometimes the history is more obscure than what they want to make think all the world.
If not just remember the history of "massive destructions armaments" in some Arab country invented by Mr. Bush.

Finally, this matter is completely out of topic in this forum.

johnnyboy

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 09:32:45 am »

An interesting post, in this topic anyway. 

Am I the only one who finds it just a bit ironic that in a thread essentially about the limiting of a voice or voices (I'm not arguing the sedition issue), some person, claiming to be from the US Govt is passively threatening both JRiver and Sparta and explicitly warning Sparta to "obey the rules".

Certainly Sparta is entitled to his opinion and whether or not you agree with it, how is it your position to silence him?

LaneNem, are you one of these "internet police" that is out there monitoring all of the boards, making sure all of the "rules" are being followed?  You see, to me, it's important to understand if a person has endorsed a specific policy position, because then I know how seriously to take their posts.

He said he works for the US government, didn't say doing what ;) lol.
He's probably the tea boy in a government office in the middle of no where.

Sparta - loved your points which i completely agree with!
Not to mention how much profit is the Bush family personally making from it :)
Lots of factual evidence to prove that the war in Iraq is making them a small personal fortune - fact not subjective view point.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 10:46:49 am »

Not to mention how much profit is the Bush family personally making from it

I think cheney actually makes more per year than bush, but both as normal are clicking their number counter for the proverbial bedfellows club card for after the office time is over.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

MadJewDisaster

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 04:33:56 pm »

~~~~~~~~~~~  I am a citizen of Chili ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On september 11 th 1973 , the CIA and pinochet participated in a coup d'état that deposed the democratically-elected Marxist President Salvador Allende and established a military government.

Once i heard there was another 11 th , but this one is the one i care about.
Pages: [1]   Go Up