INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No really, How good is Media Center?  (Read 1665 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
No really, How good is Media Center?
« on: July 06, 2007, 07:05:42 am »

So I get my iPhone today!  I decided I needed to get ready because it doesn't look like MC can sync the iPhone yet--I'm really hoping, though.  So I went through and synced my music to a folder so I could get it all converted to mp3s to allow iTunes to survive and not choke on quality with FLAC.  So, I added the songs to iTunes.

Then I realized I was getting duplicates--(this has been happening a lot to me in MC lately, not sure why)--and I found out that iTunes was importing the playlist file and all those files as well.  So, I knew to just delete all and start over after deleting the playlist file.  Select All, Delete...wait...wait...wait.  Oh, you have to wait?  Waa  aaaaiittt?  What is this unfamiliar action that I have never heard of?

It took a good minute for it to delete 2K songs from its database.  Then, I just deleted the database anyway but wow.  iTunes is so bad I don't even like this temporary use.

I'm sorry but the ONE feature I absolutely love is their album view.  Please take a look at it and consider adding a view like it.  It really is impressive all around.  I'm going to go check out cover flow now for the first time.

JONCAT

Re: No really, How good is Media Center?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 08:06:12 am »

I saw Itunes cover flow at my neighbors house. I'm honestly not impressed. I feel trapped inside a tier of 3 albums; that's all you see. I don't look at my LPs or CDs like I'm flipping through posters on the wall of a store. I prefer to have album covers all out in front of me in the sorting of my choice. It's all glossy and pretty but from a pragmatic standpoint...useless for me. YMMV.

DC

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 08:51:07 am »

I get the same impression too, i'd be more open if someone would spend some months actually using it rather than looking at it.

How useful is it when you have thousands of albums ?

a few hundred sure, but more than that...hmm.

Of course you can use a search string to narrow it down, so its manageable, but is it faster than a plain vanilla list to find something. Can just scroll up or down the list and locate much faster than flipping endlessly through pages, i bet the flipping part would get old rather quickly.

benn600

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 10:01:45 am »

I think on the iPhone it may be a good choice, though.  Fedex should be delivering my iPhone in the next hour or two so I'm anxiously awaiting that.  iTunes needed something for cover art but like I said, I REALLY like their album viewer (not cover flow).

What does everyone think of it?  I think it's the perfect balance of display space because it gives a good separator between each album so it's easier to distinguish between albums.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 11:29:19 am »

iTunes needed something for cover art but like I said, I REALLY like their album viewer (not cover flow).

What does everyone think of it?
A pic would be nice.

as in..on itunes as opposed to.. on the iphone ;)

benn600

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 01:38:32 pm »

Maybe a lil later.  I just got my iPhone 40 minutes ago and it is activated at 50% synced...everything goes on hold while I marvel.

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 04:14:58 pm »

What does this topic have to do with MC12? Wrong forum. Maybe JRiver should add a forum section where benn600 can write about all his toys.

benn600

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 04:57:03 pm »

Sorry how this morphed into other topics but I was initially discussing how horrible iTunes was, praising MC, and discussing the one feature I like about iTunes--that album view mode.  Not cover flow!
Pages: [1]   Go Up