INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Favored UPnP Device?  (Read 1657 times)

jagdriver

• World Citizen
Favored UPnP Device?
« on: July 17, 2007, 11:16:43 am »

[I'm cross-posting this as it should have been in this forum to begin with.]

I would like to stream audio and accompanying CD artwork/visualizations from my upstairs office to my family room A/V receiver and TV. My audio collection is very large, so a well-thought-out remote, preferably with scroll wheel, would be ideal. I'm also interested in a decent metadata display so I can see  the artist and trackname when in random playback mode.

Which MC12-supported hardware device, matching the above criteria as closely as possible, does everyone seem to favor?

dcwebman

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Favored UPnP Device?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 09:14:59 am »

I have tried a couple and have not found any I like so far as there is always some limitation. The best thing I can think of and is what I am going to do next is just get another computer. Then you can run MC directly and there are no limitations.
Jeff

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 09:46:46 am »

Something I'm looking into ... we may be building a new house in less than a year ... is putting 8-10 " TOUCH screens in the walls.  Then, I would simply access a central "Manager" library and this would be opened read-only.  Then, in theater mode, AMAZING!!!

Just imagine an inwall system like that!  Now that I think about it, those UMPC's are exactly what's needed.  They are basically a laptop but with a touchscreen over the entire front--I think it requires a stylus, though.  I want TOUCH screens.

Ideally, in-wall speakers would be added to the rooms then and each MC would be, ideally, able to control two zones (two different sound cards) so one box could control living room, eating room, back deck, garage...Imagine a little, lower left box with CHECKBOXES for each zone.  You would check the boxes that you want to change and any change (play song, volume, etc.) would be sent to that zone.  Then you could play the same music in all zones easily from one MC box.

That would be incredible.

jagdriver

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 12:49:21 pm »

Have a look over at www.cinemaronline.com. They may have some things of interest. And as you probably already know, their code rides on top of MC. I see they've recently started selling hardware of their own design, too. The other place to check out is www.smarthome.com.

If I were starting from scratch, I'd have small PVC pipe runs (conduits) in the studs. No sooner will you get everything "buttoned up" than you'll want to pull another wire for something.

And don't forget outdoors! Instead of a separate volume control for my patio speakers, I rigged them up on a separate amp as zone 2 (my receiver can run three desparate zones). I then purchased an inexpensive RF <> IR converter from Smarthome that lets me easily control the volume, mute the speakers, etc., without worrying about IR distance/line-of-sight issues.

AND...speaking of outdoors, had I built anew (rather than remodeling), I would have seriously considered mounting a subwoofer in the exterior wall for patio use. I've also seen some self-amped subs camouflaged as faux rocks, though, so one of these may end up in the garden.
Pages: [1]   Go Up