INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone using MC12 on a Mac?  (Read 1116 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Anyone using MC12 on a Mac?
« on: August 11, 2007, 06:04:22 pm »

We have never owned a Mac but it's tough to ignore the incredibility of the Mac after watching a Keynote.  Everything looks so nifty.  We are strongly considering buying the new 24" iMac with dot mac, iwork, and wireless keyboard/mouse...at around $2,000.

I have to admit that my biggest concern all around is simply our media collection--which is based mainly in Media Center.  The fundamental issue relates to FLAC audio and DVD video folders.  I don't think iTunes, which handles all the media, has any chance of handling any of this stuff.  Yes, I could manage a synced duplicate of everything on my server just for iTunes but yuck!

Simply put, I think VLC runs on the Mac so that would handle all my media through the barebones playback method but I still need some way for utilizing MC without going crazy.  I'm not exactly sure what who will use this computer but I'm sure it will be more of a wide spread usage pattern as everyone flocks to try it out.

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Anyone using MC12 on a Mac?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 08:37:22 pm »

Look before you leap... at the time of posting, this is still on the front page, just 20 or so threads below this one....

I am running MC 12 on my Mac

How's the house building going btw?

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 08:44:11 pm »

Sorry.  I usually look around but didn't think about it this time.

Well, the building a house thing is my family's decision and it was always at least months away.  We're not close to closing any deal but we're still looking into it.

I suppose the longer you wait to build a house the better--just like waiting for Leopoard.  Everything seems to get better the longer you wait.

Seviien

• World Citizen
  • SteveG for President! :)
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 10:25:03 pm »

FWIW...

I have run MC 12 with both parallels 3 and VMWare on a shiny new iMac.  MC works pretty well with both.  Transfers to portables run faster under VMWare... which just seems to be a better software package on a number of dimensions.

The sticky wicket is that MC will not allow album art, temporary rip folders, or libraries to be located on networked drives -- at least not networked drives the way that VMWare and Parallels implement them.  What this means is that the actual media files themselves can be on your Mac partition, but some of the other "support" stuff has to be located on the windows virtual drive.  It's annoying -- but it works.

I think running MC under unity in VMWare is the best we can do on a mac unless a native OSX version is ever announced...
Pages: [1]   Go Up