INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wav files in Media Center and a few other questions for potential new user  (Read 713 times)

ITParalegal

I have a media pc I built and am now in the process of finding the right software to handle all 600 of my cd's that I converted to losslesss .wav using nero.

Of course, now that I have done that, I hear my wav files do not keep tags. But, I will not be reburning those discs, so wav is where Im at for the time being.

That being said, my albums are already seperating on my harddrive in this fashion:
1. Group name
2. sub folder for all their albums
3. in those albums folders are of course, the songs.

I am assuming media center will be able to identify my wav files?
Will It arrange them in some other way, or will I have control over how the files are arranged?
I am also assuming I have the option of random file play, etc just like on my cd changer?

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Wav files in Media Center and a few other questions for potential new user
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 04:17:37 pm »

Let's see:

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes

Yes.
Yes and yes.
Yes, although your cd changer may have some unique idea of "random".

No need to re-rip if you want to change to a different lossless format--you can convert directly from WAV if you wish in the future.  I started with an all-WAV library and eventually converted them all to FLAC, for better tagging.  That and APE are the two main lossless alternatives, AFAICT.

As far as identifying your WAV files, MC will do it via right-click"/library tools/fill properties from filename".  Using your directory scheme, you likely have a "Beatles" folder, followed by an "Abbey Road" folder which contains tracks including "the end".  So, using this tool, you would fill directories for [Artist]/[Album] and filename [Track]. 

As far as control over how the files are arranged in directories, MC is truly sublime in this respect.  Have a look through the "library tools/Rename Files from properties."
Pages: [1]   Go Up