INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP101 Ideas  (Read 2452 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
MP101 Ideas
« on: September 25, 2007, 09:15:43 am »

Well, every morning as I'm showering and listening to my MP101, my frustration turns into: Hey, has anyone tried this?!

1. Is someone willing to try the original MP101 Server Software provided by the manufacturer on Vista?  If it worked (and you'd think it should), J River could watch its network traffic and maybe learn what needs to be done.
2. What about the alternative firmware that I've been hearing about?  Anything show from it?  Is it available?
3. I have four of these boxes.  Maybe I should just sell them on eBay?  I've recently started selling again so it would be quick and easy.  Wonder what I could get for em?
4. Any other thoughts? Gotta have a number 4.

MP101User

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: MP101 Ideas
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 02:25:02 pm »

1. Not me. The original software was a pile of cack as I recall. I did have a Netgear storage router that came with the software installed. That was OK since it saved me loading some software: on the downside, it was like going back to the dark ages compared with Media Centre.

2. Do you mean 1.4.7? It's not been officially released, to my knowledge, but it's readily available (let me know if you want it). I'm sure I've seen somewhere that it does nothing for the Vista problems, but I could be wrong (I'm sticking to XP for now). Sorted a couple of things for me, but you need to be able to power cycle your MP101 to live with it (it hangs after a couple of hours of inactivity).

3. They go for a fair bit. I wait for an unpopular auction and reckon you can get them for £20-25 with a following wind. Bargain, IMO.

4. I reckon you have to choose between your MP101s and Vista. Sorry, but it will be hours less hassle for you.

Mark.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 07:57:10 pm »

I really like the Roku now. Couple of minor glitches: it seems to lose the (wireless) network on occasion; every two or three days, when you power it off, it shows the time (I don't want glowing lights in my bedroom at night). I'm not sure if the M500 is still for sale new, but it's cheaper than the MP101 now. My wife and kids also approve...

The MP101 network stack was never up to snuff: using wireless it would drop out every few songs, and it didn't work with WEP or whatever the wireless security protocol is called.

j

p.s. Anyone want to buy a used MP101? :)

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 03:51:30 pm »

We have four of them.  They are working 100% perfectly as of now for me anyway.  I'm running Windows 2003 Server and that fixed them.  So now I listen to continuous music while I shower in the mornings.  Before it was just a single track at a time.

They connect quickly 90% of the time.  The rest I just have to wait until it says it couldn't get an IP and then restart it.

Kosh66

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 03:22:12 pm »

Hello,

maybe someone can send me this beta firmware 1.4.7 for netgear mp101, i can't find it in the web.

thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up