INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Simple question about .Flac  (Read 3322 times)

boydn

• Galactic Citizen
Simple question about .Flac
« on: October 11, 2007, 07:44:04 pm »

I know I'm making this harder then it is. 
I just installed v12 to test and want to play my .Flac files.  I downloaded Enc_FLAC-V2.2.2.zip and then ran Enc_FLAC.mjp.  I still don't show .Flac as a filetype in the import lists.  Pls tell me what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Simple question about .Flac
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 08:03:28 pm »

FLAC is included in current builds.  Please try installing the build from the top of this board.

When you import files, you may need to set the FLAC filetype.

boydn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 08:28:20 pm »

Still confused.  Installed V12.0.338 and .Flac still does not show up as an audio type.  I imported the Folder "D:\Music" which then goes "D:\Music\Artist\album".  All of the cover art shows in "images" but can't find the music. 
Thanks again.

richard.e.morton

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 05:48:41 am »

On my options the flac option is not checked (i upgraded from a previous version where flac was not an included codec)

However, just when I was looking into your problem and I went to file-> Library -> Auto-Import Options I got a dialogue box saying that "FLAC system codec may not be completely installed."

When I goto Tools -> Plugins -> Encoders and select FLAC it tells me "cannot create encoder plug-in 'FLAC Encoder'

I have just recently (today) uninstalled (without deleting library or registry) then reinstalled. and have not rebooted. will reboot now and let you know

R

Media Center Registered 12.0.338 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 12\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 1195 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 785 MB, Free - 274 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D: HL-DT-STRW/DVD GCC-4240N  Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive D: HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4240N   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices: MOVIES (E:)

Interface Plugins:
  last.fm (Active)
  Library Server (Active)
  TiVo Server (Active)
  UPnP Server (Active)
Media Center 12 with Girder and Netremote
Windows XP Pro SP2
Tranquil T2e
Via SP13000
2x500GB in RAID1
Testing AJAX Web-I/F
Humax DVB PVR-9600T
Denon ADV-1000
Celestion F-Series Speakers

boydn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 02:46:24 pm »

Still can't get .Flac.  Could it be because I have "Oggcodecs 0.71.0946" installed so WMP would play Flac?
I installed the ver of MC recomended above.

Another question since I haven't started the ripping yet.
If I rip to lossless .Wma I'll get the same effect as Flac, right?
Thanks

jgreen

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 03:43:54 pm »

I can confirm Richard's report about flac being unchecked in audio file associations.  not just by default--MC unchecked where I had it checked before.  Coincidence?  You be the judge!

boydn--

If you're anxious to get started ripping, you can certainly rip to WMA (lossless) and get much the same benefits of FLAC.  They're both about the same size when compressed.  I prefer FLAC, and I think it and APE have a few minor advantages over WMA (lossless).  You can even convert over to FLAC later with perfect data retention.   

In either case, my preferred approach is to rip directly to WAV, QC the rip, and then convert to FLAC.  MC, of course, can batch convert to FLAC or rip directly with equal precision--I just like having a look at things step-by-step.

As for getting FLAC to work for you, go to "tools/options/file associations" and under audio, make sure that "flac" is checked.  Also, if you're using auto-import you'll need to enable flac there too.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 03:56:56 pm »

The flac unchecked problem should be fixed in the latest build. There is still a cover art problem. Working on it...

boydn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 06:40:59 pm »

I think I would still rather use Flac but it doesn't even show in my File Assosiations.  My list goes from DTS Audio to MIDI Audio.  I've got it in the Encoders but, not where I need it.   

jgreen

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 07:18:44 pm »

boydn--

That may well be, I'm just to lazy to load in v.338 to confirm--I think Richard's the point man on this one.  I've got a later beta version which has FLAC under audio pretty as could be.

You've come to MC just as some fairly significant changes were built in--native support for FLAC, for one.  I know that out of 345 revs of MC 12, FLAC did disappear out of one version, so it's possible it may have pulled the same stunt again.

Try to hang tight on your trial of MC.  I think you've seen for yourself that the developers are fairly responsive to bug reports--and this is when they're currently busy as bees folding in some major code changes.  As for the product, there is a mind-blowing amount of configurability available with this magnificent program.  It's just currently stumbling on FLAC for you.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 07:47:45 pm »

When I first installed MC, it was back about 4 months ago and MC was much earlier on.  Back then, I had to manually install the FLAC plugins.  I have been staying current with versions (338) and it's working fine for me.  Perhaps you should install the standalone plugins.

jpgreen: can you please tell me where you get the more recent beta builds?  I honestly think I've asked 3+ times to different people and never get a response.  I see you're in the beta group and am sure it has to do with that.  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=13.0

jgreen

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 09:55:34 pm »

Well, benn, for starters, could you check to see whether "FLAC" appears under audio File Associations in version 12.338, and then report back here?  That would be valuable training for future beta-testing, grasshopper.

As for the MC beta test team, I slipped in under the wire a year-and-a-half ago, when MC 12 was just coming out of Alpha.  I'm sure that's a decision JRiver has regretted ever since--I'm easily the most useless beta tester ever to darken their door. 

I can't imagine that they're taking on anyone new now--MC 12 is fully mature, IMO.  I think the best course of action is to be patient and start a positive dialog with JimH.  He's the one that's going to choose testers when v.13 gets underway.

And don't forget, it's not about the money.  Even though the top-ranked beta-tester make $5,000 a week, we really feel that a job well done is a reward in itself.  And the second-tier group, earning $2,000 a week--gosh, what great attitudes they have!  Such dedication--where would we be without their efforts!  A big hats-off to those soldiers!

Oops, I forgot there's a couple of beta testers who actually aren't getting paid ANYTHING!  What a bunch of chumps those guys must be!  When will they ever get the message? 

benn600

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 10:51:40 pm »

Uhnmmmmm.  (cough cough) You make money beta testing?!  No wonder they didn't just add me.  I honestly thought it was just people who wanted to help out.  I'm now closing my jaw.

Now I'm making some assumptions about your post.  It wasn't absolutely clear.

I'm thinking for that kind of money it's essentially a major job--with lots of devotion to testing MC in its early stages.

jgreen

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 11:34:07 pm »

Er, benn, I was lying about that last part--or at the very least I'm one of those chumps not getting paid.

In the meant time, did you have a chance to look at the audio file associations for .338?  Is FLAC there?  Valuable training for a future six-figure job, that.

benn600

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2007, 10:40:45 am »

FLAC is in fact in the file associations for me in the auto import area.  I installed the plugins months ago when I installed MC.

tinear

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2007, 11:27:24 am »

Hello,
Don't know what goes but I checked my file association list on v.338 and there is no FLAC check option availiable. If it's in the build I sho' don't see it!
Fred

MusicHawk

No FLAC type in .338 File Associations
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2007, 11:38:28 am »

No FLAC type in .338 File Associations for me either, though it appears and is selected as my preferred Encoder.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

benn600

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2007, 03:09:09 pm »

It must be because I installed the FLAC plugins before.  Can you install them now?  Does FLAC then show up?  I'm really pleased that they are adding built in FLAC now because once these issues are worked out, no more manual installations.

boydn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2007, 08:06:08 pm »

I installed In_FLAC-V2.3.0.zip and now have Flac encoding and decoding.

MrHaugen

Re: No FLAC type in .338 File Associations
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2007, 05:33:10 am »

No FLAC type in .338 File Associations for me either, though it appears and is selected as my preferred Encoder.

Same here. Installed .338 on a new machine, and there was no file association available for flac.
I had to install the IN_flac version 2 before I got the selection under file association.

This can't be the way it's supposed to work? I read that flac decoding/encoding now was integrated in MC?!

I convinced a friend of mine to try out MC and I had to help him out.
After we got the flac to work he said: "that's not exactly user fiendly".
A shame if this is something that's gonna push people away.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

tinear

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2007, 08:04:23 pm »

Still don't see any FLAC listed under MMC 12.0.338 file associations or encoders. If y'all say that it's included in this MMC version I gotta' take your word for it but it's invisible to me.
Fred

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2007, 08:08:50 pm »

We're in the middle of switching from the optional install of scthom's FLAC plug-ins to JRiver's FLAC plug-ins that are included with MC12.  We'll get it right soon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up