INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod Sync Question  (Read 2056 times)

chuckw4598

iPod Sync Question
« on: October 22, 2007, 09:34:46 am »

Hello,
I have the 30 trial version running for my new 80GB iPod classic. In the past I have used Anapod Explorer for my other iPods. It does not work for my 80GB iPod classic so I am looking at Media Center 12.
I have all my music arranged in folders on my computer just the way I want it. In Anapod Explorer I could drag a folder with sub folders and it would transfer the music and then ask me if I wanted to create playlists from the transfer. The playlists on the iPod would act just like my foders on the computer in tree form.

Example: Folder tree looks like this = Christmas/my favorites   Christmas/wife favorites.
Christmas has songs in it, Christmas/my favorites has songs in it, Christmas/wife favorites has songs in it.
I would end up with playlists on my iPod that would be:
Chirstmas - song1, Christmas song2 etc.
                 Christmas - my favorites as a sub playlist with songs
                 Christmas - wife favorites as a sub playlist with songs
All I would have to do is drag the top tree folder (Christmas) on to the playlists in Anapod Explorer and playlists would be created form in tree form. I can manually force this to happen in iTunes and it uses the name of each folder as I drag them over but I have to drag each folder from the tree and then group them. I can also manually do this in Media Center 12 but it does not use the name of the folder. It always comes up with "New Playlist" and I have to type the name of the folder manually.

I'll buy the progam immediately if it can do what Anapod Explorer can do.
Thanks,
Chuck

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: iPod Sync Question
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 08:41:43 pm »

Have you tried setting MC to sync by playlist?

What version are you using?

jack wallstreet

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 07:24:56 am »

I don't know if MC12 can do exactly what you want - I would be pleasantly surprised if it can.  However, I am a convert from Anapod Explorer and while that is a good program, MC12 is much better (and obviously can do much more generally).

If MC12 cannot do exactly what you want, I recommend you look into changing your practices such as instead of creating all these folders to hold playlists, just create the actual playlists.  There is considerable flexibility you might gain in doing this.  In switching programs (I used to use Musicmatch and Anapod), I had to change some of my practices.  I have generally greatly improved my efficiencey in doing Audio by going to MC12 and making some changes in the way I did things to adjust to MC12 characteristics.
John

chuckw4598

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 08:43:32 am »

Thanks for the replies:
I am using version 12.0.329 of MC
How do I "Sync by playlist" as you suggest. I have stepped through all menus and tried "Sync by playlist" in help and can't see how.

Thanks for the input Jack. I am trying not to have to manually create playlists as they would be too numerous. I see MC has many features I would like to use but really need some way to recreate my directory tree easily.

Is there a manual or tutorial for MC?

Thanks all,
Chuck

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 11:56:00 am »

From glancing at what you want I think you're going about it all wrong.  If you have a folder for you and then another for your wife, what if you both like the same song?  It relates well to relational databases.  You're better off just keeping your music stored according to it (not something other than it--you) and then you can use a database to store the information about things other than it.  All you have to do is make a new playlist called My Favorites and you can simply drag songs to it (standard playlist) or you can use a smart playlist and then use ratings or something else.  I personally use ratings and store a custom rating for each user in the file, such as [Ben's Rating] = 5.  Then I can make a playlist that syncs songs that are 4 or 5 stars and it works great.  Plus, I don't have to worry about overwriting another person's rating if I just used a single Rating field.  The key is that in my case I'm storing the ratings in each file so in the worst case event, such as my MC database getting corrupted, I still have all of my ratings.  The only potential problem would be if I lost all my data but in that case, who cares because I've lost the original songs anyway!

But with the MC database, I probably could also (in a worst case scenario) just open the database (Without auto-import updating) and then I could still see the ratings so I could, say, update my newly ripped library (WORST case scenario!).  The database is easy to backup.  But it stores the ratings, too, not just the files.  BTW: I still use rating so we can easily rate songs with stars and with a single click.  I then create an Incorrect Rating playlist that lists where the Rating does not equal that user's personal rating.  Then, we can quickly go down the list and update 10+ songs very quickly.

If you use this method, then you can have multiple databases of different MC users and they can all see your ratings (if you setup that custom field) and they can even change your rating--but you have a second copy of your ratings in the [Rating] field.  So if another user makes a rating change for you, you will have to confirm it in the incorrect rating playlist.

jack wallstreet

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 12:55:19 pm »

To sync by playlist, you have to have playlists.  It is an option that shows up when you execute the "sync handheld" command.  There is an "option" button that shows up (don't sync until you select your options).  The synch->option command allows you to select indivdiual or grouped playlists.

I have 300 playlists; others have many more.  I agree with ben6000 that you should consider modifying your approach to take advantage of the playlist features in MC12 instead of relying on the actual directory structure.  I suspect relying on the physical directory structure may make you feel more secure, but I don't think it is not worth the pain.  I would consider spending the time to convert your directory structure to playlists (MC can make that pretty easy - you just drop a directory into a playlist and name the playlist) and then, later on, use MC12 to help you move those physical files into a simpler directory structure while still maintaining the playlists.  This last exercise is something I haven't done, but MC12 can do it.  You should practice moving files on some small set of files first.
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up