INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If you've used our support, how would you compare results to other software products in the same price range?

Much worse
Not as good
About the same
A little better
Much better

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: POLL: How would you rate JRiver's support for MC?  (Read 21784 times)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: POLL: How would you rate JRiver's support for MC?
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2007, 06:58:52 pm »

I just wonder how or who actually decides what to work on.

Don't be fooled about the 8 ball (I did pick one up in toys-R-Us when waiting on my wife last month, I put it back after I asked it a few questions)

I think it is a bit of everything

1. Users Input
2. Companies That JRiver Makes Players For
3. In House Brain Storming.

I remember once they talked about the action window in a meeting, then came to the forum for user input.

I also remember them talking about what a client wanted to in a player.

so I don't think you can pin point it on any one thing.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2007, 07:01:32 pm »

That's pretty much the way it is, except that 1, 2, and 3 are in a different order from time to time.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2007, 07:55:52 pm »

I would absolutely subscribe to a podcast if you guys released one!  Audio or even video of those meetings.  They would be very interesting indeed.  I just can't even imagine what is in store for me when I arrive Friday!

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2007, 08:58:44 pm »

On further reflection, I really think the question needs to be split in to two parts.

On one hand - when JRiver does provide support it is hands down among the best available.
On the other hand - the support channel is (at times) an issue.  The choice to provide or not provide support seems somewhat random and this is what I have an issue with.  There is no way to personally connect with someone from the JRiver team.  From the outside, it appears that you are in a silo and chose when and where to provide support. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2007, 09:47:28 pm »

We read just about every post.  If you have an unanswered question, please bump it.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2007, 09:52:39 pm »

I was talking to my wife about this thread and tech support (just waiting for the jokes to roll in now). She said she hated forum support and would never use it. After we talked a bit she said she'd like some sort of a pop-up that described what she could expect: how the forum worked, how she would use it, how she would hear about replies.

While most of our users are very tech savvy, I think she has a good point: for a non-techie person looking for help, they don't want to have to figure out another techie thing just to get help.

And her idea echoed something else I heard in this thread: a "how-to" page (though the trouble is displaying it in a way that new people will read it) would
be incredibly valuable in convincing her to use a forum for support.

j

benn600

« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2007, 10:37:14 pm »

I just plain don't really expect much of any support with software products.  This is mainly because 95% of the software I use is in some way free or open-source/free.  Documentation is quite common, especially with the server-side stuff I deal with on a daily basis, so I'm used to just digging for information.

It took me a while to realize how important the forum was, too!  That would be something to add to the purchase page--just let people know how important the forum is.  Oh, and put 3 or 4 quotes from users (like me) saying how great the board is.  Basically, testimonials about how great the board is and how helpful it is.  I could write up a short, concise summary of how I feel toward the board and MC releases as a whole.  With three of these immediately after checking out, people may catch them and it would very likely increase forum traffic (good or bad).

Addition: okay, maybe not 95%.  I do buy a surprising amount of software.  But I always look for free alternatives first.  And with the last applications I've purchased I can't remember ever asking a question directly to the support company.  The problem is to remain competitive, the employees need to stay on their product.  So every second goes to the product and they just don't think about support as much as they could or should.  Maybe they don't realize how important it can be.

NoBS

• Recent member
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2007, 11:43:58 pm »

I dropped the money for MC12 thanks to this forum and Audible books support, in particular the second to none playlisting of DRM files.
I've mention this program to others, but the feedback is the learning curve and the over-whelming power of the options is too much trouble...
... This is not really  ::) being lazy, spoiled maybe…

This program really shines and the DEV's have given allot of love to this player.
<group hug>  ;D

John, your better half hit the nail on the head, but not just the newbs, the totally clueless need a starting point "How to guide"
There are allot of PO'd WMP11 and iTooters who need to see the light.
I could not even guess how you folks could simplify a Getting Started Guide with such a complex (and evolving) program, not to mention some users no mater how well the instructions are laid out will not even glance at it...

Sometimes it would be easier to tell my friends to just repack their shiny new 'puter and return it to the store. <shakes head> They’ll live longer and that pending stroke will go end up with that evil ’puter <evil grin>
So, how does one please EVERY end user? Good luck!
What's an iPod?
Do apples have worms?
Rotten to the core.

TimB

« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2007, 05:47:29 am »

MC is an excellent product (the ONLY reason I own Parallels) and the support here is excellent too, apart from one or two moderation style issues (which I'll post in the appropriate place) I've been very happy with things.  I think there's even an MC feature (or sub-feature) that I initially suggested, tho' I've forgotten what it was its that sense of being in here with the folks that actually do the work that makes it so good.

-=Tim=
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2007, 07:14:34 pm »

In all honesty, I'm yet to find better support anywhere. The support here on this forum is brilliant.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

benn600

« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2007, 10:33:22 pm »

I would be interested in some statistics--such as what percentage of the posts are from J River staff and not.  It obviously helps tremendously that so many people volunteer their time here.

As far as my forum time is concerned--this is my number one forum.  I also visit the hmailserver forum and lately the 2cpu forum.  But this leads every other forum by leaps and bounds. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2007, 04:54:42 pm »

Results still more or less steady:

Not as good   14%
About the same  11%
Better or much better  75%

122 votes
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up