INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: portable version of MC12?  (Read 1197 times)

bosmiq

portable version of MC12?
« on: October 29, 2007, 10:25:08 am »

Hello,

is there a portable version of mediacenter available? maybe I have searched for the wrong term; I am looking for an install on my USB stick which leaves not "fingerprint" on the host computer (like the portable apps on portable apps, like firefox, open office, etc)

that would be a really cool feature (in particular as I believe a lot of us would like to use MC on their business machines (rather than the terrific windows media player etc) - here we get more and more restrictive company policies, causing that less and less "private" software can be used)

thx,
bosmiq

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: portable version of MC12?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 12:22:17 pm »

It's not currently possible.

No promises, but it's something we'd like to do someday.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 01:20:53 pm »

I believe the term we are looking for is U3 compliant.

an interesting idea.

Here's what's already available.

No competition yet  ;D

edbro

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 02:20:30 pm »

I believe the term we are looking for is U3 compliant.
I totally disagree. I'd like to see portability as in XML based configurations. U3 is a standard that has not taken hold. As a matter of fact, I reformatted my last U3 drive to get rid of the U3 software. I don't think I'm they only one either; do a web search for "U3 uninstall" and see how many hits you get.

Local config portability would allow MC Portable to run on any removable drive. U3 would only allow it to run on a U3 drive and certainly not all drives have U3.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 03:34:06 pm »

If we do this, it will be general purpose and not tied to U3.

I want MC 12, my library, and my content on my handheld (iPod, etc.) -- not just my content.

COM (a Windows system we use for some plugins) is the trickiest change for us since it requires controls be registered with the system.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

johnnyboy

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 08:16:59 pm »

If we do this, it will be general purpose and not tied to U3.

I want MC 12, my library, and my content on my handheld (iPod, etc.) -- not just my content.

COM (a Windows system we use for some plugins) is the trickiest change for us since it requires controls be registered with the system.

Depending on what type of plugins you mean (ie visualisation ones), I'm pretty sure most of us would happily not have them on our portable version. I know I would be happy to lose those on a portable version of it.
These days I increasingly try make all my software totally portable and often differentiate between which packages to use based on whether I can just copy it (often have to install it first then copy it over) straight onto my portable HD then run it where ever I want.
Pages: [1]   Go Up